DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Catch can results (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=88250)

FDBDW 07-28-2011 06:24 PM

Catch can results

Ive had my catch can for about 3 weeks now and decided to check it today. Holy s#!* I had about 3oz of oil in it that would have been sent through my intake and into my combustion chambers. Thats only 3 weeks , and I dont drive very much, 16,000mi in 2 years , so I bet the average driver would have pulled that amount in less time. Maybe my best mod yet

Quiet Lunatic 07-28-2011 07:03 PM

catch can:SHOCKED:what and where is this.i have an 06 ram 5.7 hemi

CdnoilRAM 07-28-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liltom (Post 578437)
catch can:SHOCKED:what and where is this.i have an 06 ram 5.7 hemi

Sadly, our generation has an internal PCV system... not able to install a catch can :smiledown: but there is a way to do it that involves some modification of the passenger-side valve cover, a chevy PCV, and permanently disabling your PCV system.

Bordin 07-28-2011 07:40 PM

Just ordered a catch can (satin finish)!!

Saw your previous thread with pictures, and you convinced me.

Thank you in advance, my engine will hopefully appreciate this! ha

erm 07-28-2011 11:12 PM

Yup...the catch can is a great mod and engine life extender for those who can put one on their truck. There is a way to modify the 3rd generation to make them work, however.

Racerdamon 07-29-2011 01:37 AM

Thanks for the results, I have one on my next to do list!

notnks 07-30-2011 06:24 AM

Why can't you just put a filtered vent on your valve cover and plug the hole going into the TB? :smileup:That is what I used to do on all my old Chevy's and they ran great. Will it mess something up on these 4gen Dodge's?:4-dontknow:

FDBDW 07-30-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notnks (Post 579657)
Why can't you just put a filtered vent on your valve cover and plug the hole going into the TB? :smileup:That is what I used to do on all my old Chevy's and they ran great. Will it mess something up on these 4gen Dodge's?:4-dontknow:

Unlike the older motors where we would put a pcv on one side and a vent on the other. This is a closed system and actually doesnt vent from the top of the heads. There is a canister behind the intake manifold were it vents from, Im sure you would throw codes if you just tried to put a vent on that and pluged the other. That would have been nice thought, I have a bunch of those laying around my garage.

snrusnak 07-30-2011 08:37 AM

^also, putting a filter on the pcv system is not really a good idea because it will create more pressure in the engine compared to an "open" venting system without a filter. This increased pressure can cause seals to blow out, and actually can cause you to lose a few hp. Many drag racers run a system that ties the pcv/valve cover vents into the exhaust and the exhaust creates a vacuum that "sucks" the crankcase pressure out. Alot of people never change their PCV valve, and if blocked it can cause excessive pressure and blown seals. It is good cheap insurance to replace the pcv valve every 50,000 miles or so, even if they say every 100,000, they are only a few bucks. Just my opinion, I try to change mine more often, or at least clean it.