DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Squeaking (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=88251)

StormTrippinFiVe9 07-28-2011 07:24 PM

Squeaking

Hey all,
Everytime I steer my truck I'm hearing a loud squeaking noise when I am turning the wheel. The sound is very noticable if i am stopped and steering or if im going at low speeds. I replaced a ball joint about a year ago on my drivers side but lately the sounds have been coming back. Idk if i need to replace my ball joints on both sides or what.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

RedRam10 08-03-2011 02:16 AM

Hi, I don't have an answer so, it's time to .........:icon_bump:........... this back to the top!

Screamintrashcan 08-11-2011 02:22 AM

OK, heres a longshot, I have a 98 Explorer, which I plow snow with in the winter, last fall, the u-joint at the bottom of the steering column started seizing up, as it is parked all summer, outdoors in tall grass. I had to drill one of the cups with a #7 drill bit and thread it to 1/4x28, and install a grease fitting, grease it, and yahoo, problem solved... otherwise, if it sounds like it's coming from the column, try fire some dry film lubricant down the column? liquid wrench makes a good product, could it be the contacts in the column???

StormTrippinFiVe9 08-15-2011 08:20 PM

yeah i actually do have some of the liquid wrench lubricant myself haha. but ill talk a look at my steering column....maybe my cv joints are bad??

Screamintrashcan 08-28-2011 03:28 AM

There's something here I ain't getting... You think it may be a CV joint?? Is this noise coming seemingly from the inside or outside?? My confusion comes in that there aren't any CV joints on my pickups, theres a joint on the front driveshaft somewhat similar to a CV joint, but thats not what it's called, and it would not make noise if the vehicle were not in motion. I think you mentioned in another post that you needed to look at your axle joints. these are located kind of between your brake rotor and the main axle housing, where the wheels pivot off the main housing. you stick a screwdriver in there amongst the bearing and cross assy and see if you can generate any slop in the axle shaft vs axle drive stub. I believe from your previous post about clicking, that you need axle joints. But they would squeak only while vehicle was in motion... (at least I think it was your post, perhaps I'm wrong...) Not an at home job to replace, if you don't have oxy/acytl torch. That double jointed thing I mentioned earlier on the front drive shaft (the name of it escapes me right now) pretty much went out on me at the same time as the left axle joint on both of my Gen 2 Rams. Another part that needs heat to replace. Mine shook like crazy with 4 wd selected (the driveshaft joint) a dead giveaway... It squeaked when it went bad on my old f-250, years ago, and shook like crazywith the hubs locked, OR the range selector in a 4wd position.