DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Rusted through oil pan (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=88690)

MCTHOUSAND 08-03-2011 03:31 PM

Rusted through oil pan

New member. I just discovered oil seeping through the side of the oil pan on my 2004 2500 Ram diesel four wheel drive. The Dodge place wants over 1200 dollars to replace the pan. Their price on the pan is 500 dollars and the rest is labor and gaskets and other shop materials.

Has anyone replaced the oil pan on this type of vehical and what is the proceedure. By the way, this pan is available at a discount online for just under 400 dollars.

The leaking pan has a plastic coating on it and looks like salty water got trapped behind it. Thanks in advance!

RedRam10 08-04-2011 09:25 AM

Welcome to the site; I don't have an answer so, it's time to .........:icon_bump:........... this back to the top! Drop by the Newbie Checkin and introduce yourself. Hope to see you around!

MCTHOUSAND 08-04-2011 12:50 PM

I'm a retired metal fabricator/welder. My wife and I have been renovating a house in southwest Pennsylvania and enjoying gentile poverty. We do a lot of projects together, wood stuff, and ornamental iron. Also a little forging with a propane forge I built a while back. Life is good.

snrusnak 08-04-2011 03:28 PM

no offense but if you're a retired welder shouldn't you be able to patch a metal oil pan...? I'd try to find a used oil pan on ebay or in a junk yard real cheap then pay someone to install it. Or figure out a way to patch yours.

MCTHOUSAND 08-04-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 583243)
no offense but if you're a retired welder shouldn't you be able to patch a metal oil pan...? I'd try to find a used oil pan on ebay or in a junk yard real cheap then pay someone to install it. Or figure out a way to patch yours.

The pan is on the truck and has oil in it. The metal must be clean in order to repair it. To do a proper repair the pan must be removed. That is the problem. I had double knee replacement a while back and it is more difficult for me to crawl around under the truck. If all I had to do was take the pan bolts out to remove the pan, I would do the job myself. What I am afraid of is that the engine needs to be lifted up to wiggle the thing out. Thats why I asked about the proceedure for doing the job.

snrusnak 08-04-2011 05:49 PM

^ gotcha, I'm not sure on that truck, but usually the engine does need to be lifted to some extent to fit it over the crank and the frame crossmember. I'd probably find someone other than the dealer that'd do it cheaper.