DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Supercharger or Turbocharger (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=88852)

TexasRam09 08-05-2011 01:57 AM

Supercharger or Turbocharger

I am thinking about either supercharging or turbocharging my 2009 dodge ram 1500 with the 4.7L V8, does anyone have any suggestions on which option to go with and maybe some ideas on what products are available in either option.

snrusnak 08-05-2011 07:52 AM

Check out air ram's website, it looks like they are the only ones putting together a kit:

http://www.airram.com/custompage.php?page=18

Other than that, as far as I know it'd all be custom. Even with that kit ^ you'd need a way to tune it I'd guess, I doubt they will supply everything, but look into it. I'd like to bolt that on my truck depending on price and how much power it added...

strang3majik 08-05-2011 01:33 PM

The question is...what are you doing with the truck? There's many different variables to a choice like that.

Supercharger is better if you just want light to light performance on the street. If you're actually going to drag race it, a turbo would be a better choice as there is more power potential with a turbo. Also, a turbo is great for towing.

Turbos are a much more involved install, though, and usually more expensive. Superchargers are much more straight forward and simple to install, but, as I said, there's not as much power potential with them.

Superchargers, however, give you instant throttle response, whereas a turbo has a minor lag between putting the pedal down and it responding.

So...back to my first question...

what are you doing with the truck?

98sst 08-05-2011 01:42 PM

I'd say STS turbo that thing with their universal kits. Those are sweet!!

TexasRam09 08-09-2011 11:37 AM

I would like the extra power and speed added but I will also be towing a boat and travel trailer.

CJ.2007Ram 08-09-2011 12:14 PM

I prefer turbos myself; however most of the aftermarket turbo kits place the turbo under the truck, which I personally don't like. So I would suggest a supercharger for a truck unless it will never be off road or in deep water/mud.

bombadillo 08-11-2011 11:55 PM

I really like the sound, instantaneous power, and ease of use on a supercharger. If you're really wanting to squeeze out a GOB of power out of a 4.7, go turbo. If you're looking to tow a boat, have more power on the road, hit a stop light to stop light race or two, grab a supercharger. Nothing beats that bottom end torque that a good ol eaton supercharger gives. If you can gear drive it, even that much better.

RedRam10 08-12-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasRam09 (Post 583775)
I am thinking about either supercharging or turbocharging my 2009 dodge ram 1500 with the 4.7L V8, does anyone have any suggestions on which option to go with and maybe some ideas on what products are available in either option.

Hi and a warm Carolina welcome to the best RAM ForumZ on the web. I'm not the first and won't be the last to ask ~ How about posting a few photos of your truck? I'm here to help you navigate the site so how about jumping over to the Newbie Checkin and introducing yourself.

:iagree: all above comments are valid so what are you looking to get out of the 4.7?
:Hey:

bigredtruck 08-12-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strang3majik (Post 584014)
The question is...what are you doing with the truck? There's many different variables to a choice like that.

Supercharger is better if you just want light to light performance on the street. If you're actually going to drag race it, a turbo would be a better choice as there is more power potential with a turbo. Also, a turbo is great for towing.

Turbos are a much more involved install, though, and usually more expensive. Superchargers are much more straight forward and simple to install, but, as I said, there's not as much power potential with them.

Superchargers, however, give you instant throttle response, whereas a turbo has a minor lag between putting the pedal down and it responding.

So...back to my first question...

what are you doing with the truck?

As someone who has built and installed numerous turbo and supercharger kits...i disagree. Turbos are a MUCH easier build/install. The only "hard" part is all the piping. Now this is from a custom build stand point. A supercharger "kit" is very simple to install! Problem with superchargers on our truck is the high compression ratio. i think the 4.7 runs like 9.5:1. ideal is 8.5:1. Youd have to keep boost levels WAY down or you could do some MAJOR damage to your motor. All in All id go turbo. unless you find a decent Supercharger kit. And whatever you do...TAKE YOUR TIME! :smileup:

snrusnak 08-12-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

As someone who has built and installed numerous turbo and supercharger kits...i disagree. Turbos are a MUCH easier build/install. The only "hard" part is all the piping. Now this is from a custom build stand point. A supercharger "kit" is very simple to install! Problem with superchargers on our truck is the high compression ratio. i think the 4.7 runs like 9.5:1. ideal is 8.5:1. Youd have to keep boost levels WAY down or you could do some MAJOR damage to your motor. All in All id go turbo. unless you find a decent Supercharger kit. And whatever you do...TAKE YOUR TIME!
What always stopped me from doing forced induction was tuning.....but it seems tuning has become more available and easier...