DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   2000 Ram Headlight Issues (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=88938)

jbaidas81 08-06-2011 12:08 AM

2000 Ram Headlight Issues

I'm having headlight issues with my 2000 Dodge Ram. Shortly after I acquired the truck I noticed that my passenger headlight was dimmer than my drivers headlight. My first thought was that maybe the bulb was going bad so I pulled both of them out and checked them, they both appeared good upon completion of a visual inspection. I then swapped the bulbs, put the one from the passenger side into the drivers side and vice versa. The result was the same, the passenger headlight was still dimmer than the drivers side. I then noticed that the passenger headlight wires had been spliced previously, I proceeded by disconnecting the splices and reconnecting them in order to insure that all of the connections were good, the results were the same. I also noticed that my passenger side turn signal is dimmer than the drivers side. Also when I switch to my high beams, the drivers side switches over with no problems, but the passenger side bulb seems to dim when switched to high beam and even goes out momentarily. I've had a few people suggest a bad ground; however, I've been unable to trace the ground wires for the lights on that side of the truck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RedRam10 08-08-2011 12:01 PM

Hi, I'm not sure I have an answer - so how about a :icon_bump:

DadzDodge 09-21-2011 06:52 AM

This is a long shot but how do the electrical connections look on the passenger side's bulb sockets? Maybe moisture has made its way into the light fixtures and caused some corrosion. You might try cleaning up the connections with light sandpaper and see if that helps. Like I said, it's a long shot but perhaps worth a try.

DODGECUMMINSWOODY 10-03-2011 03:26 AM

Without looking at it I would say theres a 99% chance it is a bad ground to find ground look in front of the battery on the left side on the radiator support should be two wires on that stud

Okiespaniels 10-09-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DODGECUMMINSWOODY (Post 627165)
Without looking at it I would say theres a 99% chance it is a bad ground to find ground look in front of the battery on the left side on the radiator support should be two wires on that stud

On my 2000 there are two sets of ground wires on the left inner front fender attatched to studs. Thees connecttions can get corroded from road salt but also battery fumes.
I had to do a radiator swap and removed both looms and cleaned them. After reattaching them to the fender studs I painted them with liquid electrical tape to resist the corrosion.