DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Seized strut bolt - HELP (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=88955)

06 BigHorn 08-06-2011 09:23 AM

Seized strut bolt - HELP

I'm trying to replace my stock front struts & springs with some Monroe quick struts but the lower strut bolt is seized in the bushing. I tried pounding it out to the point the bolt is starting to mushroom. Tried using a puller & that didn't move the bolt either. The bolt does NOT turn.

If the bolt is seized this bad is the bushing destroyed? If I heat it, will that destroy the bushing? I can't find a replacement bushing online & other similar topics talked about having to replace the whole lower control arm.

I picked up some new bolts & nuts @ the dodge dealer yesterday, picking up new lower strut / lower control arm bushings today. Was hoping not to have to replace them!

If the lower control arm is not low or high enough, would that put enough pressure on that bolt that it wouldn't turn? I can only turn the bolt a little & the bushing turns with it. Only to return back when the wrench is released.

RedRam10 08-08-2011 12:06 PM

Hi, I'm not sure I have an answer - so how about a :icon_bump:

andrewdains 08-10-2011 02:25 AM

Try some deep penetrating oil on the bolt. Also, a breaker bar and something to brace against, ie. concrete. The shocks should have come with a new bushing. I know the Rancho 9000xl I put on mine did.

AndyXplorer 08-10-2011 12:54 PM

Ive done this twice, and each time the lower bolt was seized. The first time was to put the leveling kit in, i just eneded up cutting the bolt head off and pounding it out, The second time i instaled Ranco 9000ES struts, cause the factory monroe ones were seized, and i wasn't going to replace them with the same pieces of junk. I used Kroil, and worked it back and fourth with a 1/2" impact for about an hour, spraying it each time i went back and fourth, it won't move much for the first half hour, but eventually it comes out. The problem is there is a layer of crap buildup not allowing the bolt to come out, and since the strut grabs the bolt from each end, it actually bends the bolt in a u shape, you can't see it, but its just so ever bent. Either go to dodge and buy a new bolt, and cut the old one out, or use the Kroil method.

snrusnak 08-10-2011 01:00 PM

^ impact comes in handy with this stuff, I replaced struts on another vehicle once and also worked the bolt with an impact for at least 30 minutes each bolt, with wd40 at the same time...I don't know that I could have done it without the impact...

AndyXplorer 08-10-2011 01:05 PM

definatley snrusnak, there is definatley no way you are getting the bolt out without an impact. Not for the amount of work needed to be done

snrusnak 08-10-2011 01:08 PM

Yeah what I did was hold the trigger on the impact to loosen the bolt till I pretty much had no air pressure in my compressor (light duty compressor for nail guns, etc...) waited about 5 min for it to fill up, reverse the impact, go the other way with the bolt, then repeat...It'd take a week to get a bolt out by hand doing this...if you could physically do it lol. When I first started I didn't think the bolt was coming out at all the first few attempts, but it sort of got easier and easier the more I tried.

06 BigHorn 08-11-2011 06:32 PM

I have new bolts, nuts & bushings. Anyone replace the whole bushing ?

I'm to work on it friday night!

AndyXplorer 08-12-2011 02:21 PM

i didnt repalce the bushing, didnt need to, i'd imagine you have to take the whole control arm off and press it out, and press the new one in. If you are going to cut the bolt, you need to work it back and forth with an impact first to get it a little broken free, i had about 1/2" coming out before i cut it off, i think if you cut it flush from the get go you might be fighting it alittle, cut the stud side off and pound it out that way, I think the bushings might be a bigger pain in the ass than you think, maybee don't need them

GTyankee 08-12-2011 02:36 PM

go to a gun shop & purchase a spray can of AERO KROIL it is sort of expensive as penetrating fluids go, but you really need it for jobs just like this
most times PB BLASTER is enough, but KROIL is for the really difficult jobs

if you can take the part completely off, then a press is the way to go