DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Forum CANADA (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Sensor on my battery case? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=88960)

bghoenow 08-06-2011 11:35 AM

Sensor on my battery case?

I changed my battery yesterday (98 Ram 1500). The vehicle does have a security system that I never use seeing as I live in a rural area. The security system is Audiovox AS9490-4P.

While I was changing the battery, I also cleaned out the bottom of the battery case. It was than that I noticed a removal plastic piece on the bottom of the case, about an inch-inch and a half in diameter with a wire attached. Question...is this part of the security system? Is it some sort of failsafe system in case the truck flips??

While on the subject...after I changed the battery, took a quick drive down to the dump (about 5 minutes). Upon restarting, the truck died as I put it into reverse and drove a couple of feet...completely...no lights, nothing. I could tell right away because I had no brake or steering assist. Threw it into neutral and it fired up again and drove home. Again, is this somehow related to the security system? Wish I could take it our but it looks like it could end up opening a whole other can of beans!

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gord

RedRammer99 08-06-2011 11:47 AM

My guess that is a temp sensor for your battery. I believe with the diesels the charge at a higher rate on a cold battery.

brad12kx 08-06-2011 12:49 PM

It's the BTS (Battery Temperature Sensor). It is used by the PCM to alter the charging system based on battery temperature. Removing it will throw codes and cause the MIL/CEL (Check Engine Light) to light.

bghoenow 08-06-2011 03:49 PM

Really...a BTS? Never knew that? It isn't a diesel, but it still makes sense. Thanks much. Any guesses at the "just dyin'" part? Or could I be making too much of a coincidence between a security system, a battery replacement and stallng out.

These security systems remind me about the time I thought I'd throw a remote starter and surprise my wife for Christmas. Than I read the instructions. Seriously...to go thru all that to install one, I just go start it for her come winter.

Thanks again! Gord

brad12kx 08-06-2011 03:59 PM

I think it's coincidence. :4-dontknow: Before putting any blame on the security system, I'd first look at everything around the battery replacement operation....

Thinking out loud....
Battery cables - Did you clean them really good before connecting to the new battery?
Are the battery cables real snug....no need to over tighten, but sometimes they appear tight by the wrench, but you can still twist them by hand. This is usually because they haven't been pushed down far enough of the tapered battery post.
Are there any other electrical connections in the vicinity of the battery that could have been partially dislodged or loosened in the battery changing process?

bghoenow 08-07-2011 11:26 AM

Thanks Brad. Yup, all connections are tight and were cleaned to a sparkly shine before reconnecting. Did a 1/2 hour drive yesterday with no problems. I dunno, maybe the truck just had a little brain fart?