DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Orange peel (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=89019)

CaddyRam 08-07-2011 05:46 AM

Orange peel

Has anyone tried to color sand and buff the orange peel from the paint on a 4th generation Ram? As others have mentioned the paint jobs Dodge performs now really suck. I just wonder if the clearcoat is thick enough to withstand a little sanding... Thanks for any input.

RedRam10 08-08-2011 01:15 PM

Hi, I'm not sure I have an answer - so how about a :icon_bump:

CaddyRam 08-08-2011 07:21 PM

bump????

Sorry. I don't know what that means...

GTyankee 08-08-2011 08:00 PM

It means that he is keeping your post alive to give someone else a chance to answer your question. If no one else BUMPS or replies to a post, they tend to disappear quickly

Hopefully a painter will answer your question, or at least someone has had some experience with it
My '09 paint job is good, Except the bad orange peel on the doors, the robot that painted the doors must have been on a lube break :)

M.Scipione 08-10-2011 07:00 PM

From my experience with my ram, if you touch the clear coat.... it will be gone.

The clear coat is microscopic thin on these things. I am super careful with mine and I already have 2 scratches from where I bumped it with the hose while washing.

If it is that fragile good luck smoothing it and keeping it in tact.

I say live with the orange peel and try your best to keep swirls to a minimum, 6 months in, and with meticulous care, I'm not having great results.

GT 08-20-2011 12:21 AM

I have to agree. I painted cars for 15 years, and have wet sanded and buffed a factory paint job before. It looks great, but you reduce the thickness of the factory clear and that definitely reduces it's ability to stand up to punishment from the sun. Within 4 or 5 years it will start to fail if always left out in the sun. If you garage it, and keep it waxed all the time you may never notice it failing.

When you custom paint a vehicle, you add many coats of clear to allow for a reduction in thickness when you sand the clear. I've cleared, sanded, cleared, sanded, and then buffed on the expensive jobs.

There are a few outfits out there that "Correct" your factory paint by polishing it so perfectly that you won't see the orange peel. My guess is that those methods are also reducing the thickness of the clear coat.

CJ.2007Ram 08-20-2011 12:31 AM

Unfortunately most factory paint jobs now days suck. I have seen orange peel from every manufacturer. I plan on having mine repainted eventually with a good paint job... Like 299 maaco job lol

Sirchris 08-20-2011 01:03 AM

I talked with my dad who has painted cars for over 30 yrs and he says the same thing as what everyone has said. Factory paint jobs are thin and cheaply done. Personally, I'd live with it. You might be able to sand it down and reclear it, but there will most likely be a visible difference in what you've shot and what wasn't.

Detail 01-22-2012 09:55 PM

another thing you have to remember is the longer the paint cures the harder it is to work with. When we paint cars at my shop we give it around 12 hours and then get to wetsanding and compounding if nessisary. I see your truck is a 2010, so its had at least 2 years of "curing" not to mention the time its spent in the elements, i think you'd cause more harm than good.

Scoooter 01-22-2012 10:01 PM

I agree with the others. Best thing is to leave it alone and be happy with it or have the whole truck repainted. I have the same orange peel in mine but I'm not about to wet sand it. Some things you just have to live with.