DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Poll: Happy with your 4.7? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=89123)

KRAZYK 08-08-2011 03:31 PM

Poll: Happy with your 4.7?

Me personally, I wish I would have spent the extra coin for the 5.7.. it wouldnt have been that much more expinsive, and with the MDS system you get the same MPGs as the 4.7.

I stuck to my budget and the only thing I HAD to have was a black CrewCab. I just wish I would have added 5.7 and dual exhaust to that list lol.

Oh well.. it was my first purchase of a new vehicle so all I can do is learn.

bigredtruck 08-08-2011 03:46 PM

I bought mine used. I loved the rest of the truck and didnt really pay much attention to the fact it was the 4.7. 310hp 330 lb/ft torque sounded like plenty for me. Im REALLY disapointed in the fuel mileage. i thought it being the smaller V8 the mileage would be better than the Hemi. its not. My uncles 2010 Hemi gets 24mpg on the highway. i get MAYBE 18....with a tail wind. plus its CONSTANTLY having to shift down into 3rd to get up a hill. My Chevy never did that. Bottem end torque is non existant. Luckily i dont ever have to tow/haul anything. Im HOPING that the Superchips tuner will help out some in this area. really depressed this motor has been around as long as it has and there are so few performance parts for it. Where are the high flow heads and nasty cams??? bottom line: LOVE the truck, HATE the 4.7

although not a huge fan of the :hah:"Hemi" either. wish i could throw a GM 6.0 in my truck

starquestbd22 08-08-2011 03:54 PM

I voted "really wish I had went with the 5.7" for the same reason...power. I think the 4.7 is designed well and reliable enough but the power sucks balls. If you guys are that displeased with the second gen 4.7 you should drive a first gen!

It's ridiculous that less than $1400 gets you from the 4.7 to the 5.7 in a new truck but the difference is more like $3000-4000 on the used market. I got everything I wanted in my truck....silver, quad cab, auto, and 20" chrome wheels...but if I ever buy another 5.7 hemi will be on that list as well.

snrusnak 08-08-2011 04:10 PM

I love my 4.7L...would I take the 5.7L for free...sure, but this engine has more than enough power, especially with a few mods. I personally like the fact that I don't have MDS and VVT (simpler = more reliable IMO) I was afraid of having issues with these down the road. My mpg is also great for a 5000 lb truck. Around 17-18 avg, can get 20+ on highway.

KRAZYK 08-08-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 586099)
I love my 4.7L...would I take the 5.7L for free...sure, but this engine has more than enough power, especially with a few mods. I personally like the fact that I don't have MDS and VVT (simpler = more reliable IMO) I was afraid of having issues with these down the road. My mpg is also great for a 5000 lb truck. Around 17-18 avg, can get 20+ on highway.

are you hand calculating your milage or using the numbers off your heads up display?

my truck tells me im getting more MPGs than I really am.. if it says im getting ~18 in reality its more like 16.

snrusnak 08-08-2011 05:07 PM

My EVIC is usually within about .5mpg, although sometimes it is about 1mpg optimistic :) The numbers I post are calculated.

starquestbd22 08-08-2011 05:26 PM

I'm afraid to calculate mine by hand....the truck says 14.1 mpg. That sucks with 93 octane currently at $3.94 here.

BigOrange 08-08-2011 09:36 PM

I'm more than happy with my '08 4.7. That being said, I hope I can get a ton of miles out of it. It has plenty of power for what I use it for, and sounds great!

marshallsmith44 08-08-2011 09:44 PM

I love my 4.7 It sounds good has plenty of power for what I use it for. Im not out trying to race or pull a 10k trailer or I might of got the hemi. I was thinking at first I wouldn't be satisfied with the smaller v8 but really I have no complaints plus it seems to have more power than my last truck 5.3 avalanche

Kelr31 08-10-2011 12:41 AM

I definitely wish I had a 5.7 instead. I love the way my truck looks and sounds, but I really hate the 4.7 performance. The lack of power and absolutely horrible mpg on my truck make me wish I hadn't bought it. The power would be bearable (hate the down shifting up hills) if I got even half way decent mpg, but I get around 10.5 city and 13.5 highway. It does try to make me feel a little better by showing about 1-1.5 mpg better, but I know it's a lie....:sad: