DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Towing and Winter rim question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=89324)

Dubyeh 08-11-2011 10:29 AM

Towing and Winter rim question

Hello everyone, this would be my first post here. I bought my 2011 in june and have been loving it.

I have the stock 20'' rims for the truck and was looking for some new rubber for these rims for the winter time. The price per tire was a bit crazy just for a lower end tire. My question is am I able to buy some 18'' or something smaller size of a rim and not have any rubbing issues with the calipers?

My 2nd question,
I have the towing package for the truck not sure of the ratio of the rear end gears. But I'm going to be towing a empty car trailer and I was wondering while towing with the empty trailer should I be using the "Tow/Haul" mode?

Thanks in advance

The truck is a 2011 1500 QB 6ft box sport

united316 08-11-2011 10:41 AM

I cant help u on the tire question so I will leave that for some one else..

as far as the tow haul mode, I tow a Pop up trailer about 3k+ lbs and I always use it but I have been told that it depends what kind of terrain you are going to be going across. If its flat I would say no. If its hilly or going through mountains then yes and if you see that the transmission is searching for gear I would use it.

When In doubt I will always use tow haul mode that's why its there, Right?

brokenwrench66 08-11-2011 10:51 AM

Welcome to the Forumz!! Whereabouts in Canada are you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubyeh (Post 588017)
I have the stock 20'' rims for the truck and was looking for some new rubber for these rims for the winter time. The price per tire was a bit crazy just for a lower end tire. My question is am I able to buy some 18'' or something smaller size of a rim and not have any rubbing issues with the calipers?

The stock rims on the Ram are 17" so you'll have no issues with caliper clearance with any 17" or large rim. Since lots of guys sell their winter tires and rims separately when they sell or trade their truck, check Kijiji and your local classifieds for a set.

Oh, and the standard tire size is 265/70/17.

CJ.2007Ram 08-11-2011 11:20 AM

You can also go to www.tirerack.com enter your vehicle info and they will tell you what other wheel and tire combo you can run.

Dubyeh 08-11-2011 11:48 AM

Thanks for the responses! The route I'm driving is Flat and two lane highway.

Well that's great news with the rims, I will be checking kijiji and such andfind something

redlightrico 08-12-2011 12:18 AM

Welcome to the forums!!! where are you? I may just be selling my stock 17" rims n tires. 10,000Km on em. Just lookin for a tire package that I like right now

Dubyeh 08-14-2011 02:25 PM

Redlightrico- I live in british columbia, kamloops and kelowna. I travel back and forth. I like the sounds of these tires and rims. Maybe send me a PM and maybe work something out.