DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Aftermarket stereo install (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=89377)

2.0Tsunami 08-11-2011 10:38 PM

Aftermarket stereo install

I have the basic stereo with Sirius and wanted to replace everything. However, I've noticed crutchfield says I need a 130 harness. Is this true even with basic stereo? Also, can I re-use the satellite antenna with an aftermarket tuner?

I'm replacing all speakers and adding a sub and 2 amps. I want to put a 10" behind the console and was wondering if anyone else has ever done it with a full size sub/box. It looks like it would fit. If you have any specific box that you've used, let me know.

I'm sure I'll have a few other questions but that's it for now. Thx.

erm 08-11-2011 10:52 PM

Yes, when you replace a stock audio component with aftermarket equipment, you need a harness adapter to interface into the stock harness and CanBus system.

In your case, you'll need a harness adapter for the head unit and one for the amp.

The stock antenna is proprietary, I believe, and you will need an aftermarket one for plug compatibility. But, I'd try it before getting an aftermarket antenna.

RedRam10 08-11-2011 11:13 PM

:iagree:

Hi and a warm Carolina welcome to the best RAM ForumZ on the web. I'm not the first and won't be the last to ask ~ How about posting a few photos of your truck? I'm here to help you navigate the site so head over to the Newbie Checkin to introduce yourself.
:Hey:

2.0Tsunami 08-11-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 588525)
Yes, when you replace a stock audio component with aftermarket equipment, you need a harness adapter to interface into the stock harness and CanBus system.

In your case, you'll need a harness adapter for the head unit and one for the amp.

The stock antenna is proprietary, I believe, and you will need an aftermarket one for plug compatibility. But, I'd try it before getting an aftermarket antenna.

There were two options. A cheap one or a $130 one. I was hoping I could get the cheap one since I didn't have the premium stereo. Guess I'll be calling up Crutchfield. Thx.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRam10 (Post 588539)
:iagree:

Hi and a warm Carolina welcome to the best RAM ForumZ on the web. I'm not the first and won't be the last to ask ~ How about posting a few photos of your truck? I'm here to help you navigate the site so head over to the Newbie Checkin to introduce yourself. :Hey:

Will do! Just added an avi.

jetmech25 12-27-2011 10:01 PM

My 2012 ram 1500 quad cab ST has the basic (non-alpine) stereo with no amp. I just installed a Pioneer AVIC-920BT nav unit with a $12 harness and tapped into the cigarette lighter for ignition wire. Works like a champ, they can keep the $130 harness.

sfarris 02-15-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetmech25 (Post 682342)
My 2012 ram 1500 quad cab ST has the basic (non-alpine) stereo with no amp. I just installed a Pioneer AVIC-920BT nav unit with a $12 harness and tapped into the cigarette lighter for ignition wire. Works like a champ, they can keep the $130 harness.

Which harness did you use? That is exactly what i am looking for

express4x4 08-07-2013 05:37 AM

Me too! What happened to the days of a cheap harness?? I would love to put a stereo in my new truck and hunting down this harness is a pain!