DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Transmission question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=89594)

SS4Luck 08-14-2011 06:33 PM

Transmission question

What kind of horsepower are these 5 speed transmission/transfer cases good to before they need to be beefed up a bit... In fact, who even builds these transmissions and is reputable?

Once the tuners are out for 2011 the FI game is on for my truck and the last thing i want is to bring it up on boost and blow a hole the size of Kentucky in the trans

RedRam10 08-19-2011 11:48 PM

I don't have an answer so, it's time to .........:icon_bump:........... this back to the top! Hope to see you around!

05ram 08-20-2011 03:01 PM

From what ive been able to find out its ~500hp max.

GTyankee 08-20-2011 04:35 PM

I guess it depends on the transmission that you have

Chrysler has its own transmission plant in Kokomo, where they have built most of their automatics. Even the new ZF 8 & 9 speed automatics will be built there

Aisin-Warner has also made transmissions for Chrysler

Getrag has made the standard stick trannys

Dana has made most all the rear ends & transfer cases

chefred112 08-20-2011 09:41 PM

I have less then 500 hp (at the wheels)...and have gone through 3-4 tranny's (I lost count)

TORMENTOR 08-20-2011 09:53 PM

You also beat on yours all the time racing it. Even a bone stock truck will eventually wear through the tranny if your constantly racing it. The trannies for these trucks were not designed for drag racing and chrysler isnt going to invest millions into beefing up the trannies to be race ready when less then 1% of their customers are actually going to race their trucks.

chefred112 08-20-2011 09:58 PM

I take my truck to the track once every 4-5 months (more like twice a year)..don't think that qualifies for racing all the time...but, I do use my truck all the time with over 200k miles on it... when i was lightly modded i didn't have any tranny problems...only started seeing it when I was in the advanced stages of modding...

chefred112 08-20-2011 10:13 PM

if you have 500 hp, your not gonna drive it the same way you drive it when you first drive it off the lot. from time to time your gonna want to use it..that's why we do what we do to build and mod...I'm not worried that i blow tranny's..it comes with the territory. Now I'm doing research to build up my next tranny to the same level i have built my motor up.. so, if your gonna do typical bolt on mods, no worries on the tranny except maybe a shift kit... but if you decide to cam up, fi or spray, should be prepared to upgrade tranny components as well...

TORMENTOR 08-21-2011 01:16 AM

Of course, if you built the motor up to 500hp, you will want to use it, BUT, building your motor is just one of the steps when it comes to using that power. All 500 horses needs to be put to the ground by more then just the motor as you know. Some people do forget that when throwing down all that money to make more horsepower.

chefred112 08-21-2011 03:53 AM

i agree..I'm more of a motor guy so i did all I could to the motor...in order to make it easy on the tranny i installed a shift lit and did taller gears (4.56's) to take stress off the driveline components... but as I'm seein the issues i run into, i need to take a closer look at the tranny components and what can be upgraded...I haven't really addressed this because I'm able to get used trannys for free or next to nothing