DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   CAI in TX (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=89653)

Drake371 08-15-2011 11:23 AM

CAI in TX

Just wondering what CAI would work best down south in the TX heat? I know that my engine compartment gets blazing hot in our summer heat.

Drake

RedRam10 08-15-2011 11:34 AM

There are lots of different versions on our members trucks for all the heat you want something that is going to help pump in air from the bumper. But you don't want to leave yourself open to sucking in water in those Texas size flash floods. Volant makes a good one for the Ram.

anoldbiker 08-15-2011 11:59 AM

I have the Banks, since it was the only one with the external snout. I believe in them and won't be without it now.

Since I bought mine, S&B has come out with their version, and I believe it's cheaper, yet pretty much the same thing.

I travel cross country every year (Tenn to Calif) to see the grandkids and run through your state a lot. Never had a problem until this year when you had the HIGH winds and dirt blowing everywhere. Still worked great. But if under those conditions all the time, I'd recommend a sock over the filter to extend the life longer and a fast clean up between servicing. I'm getting one before my next trip. Great investment.

As mentioned above, if the water goes higher than the lower portion of the snout, I've been there. Go slow, don't rev the engine real high, the air is sucked through the original opening as with the original air filter housing and the water never enters the filter. Once out, give it a second to drain and go for it. Look at the pictures of the snout and filter housing (manufactures webpages) and see what I mean.

anoldbiker 08-15-2011 12:10 PM

Sorry about the last message I inserted. I didn't notice you had a gasser (I run the heavy fuel in mine) and S&B and Banks don't have them to fit. I don't know if they can be modified or not without checking the truck. But the info on the snout and sock is still accurate.

erm 08-15-2011 02:38 PM

I'd go for an enclosed box type CAI (Volant, AFE) vs. the open filter type. It will help a little bit to cool down the intake air but hot is hot...at least the ambient air won't be as hot as the engine compartment air.

Drake371 08-15-2011 03:00 PM

I looked and didn't see a Volant CAI for my truck specifically, I could be wrong or over looked something. Ambiant temps around are in the high 90's typically, along with the high humidity to go with it.... talk about muggy. Before I drive my truck on a sunny day I can't even put my hand on the hood, hate to see how warm the engine compartment is.

AirRam has a CAI that I been thinking of using, they also have a air scoop (jet stream scoop) that might help, anyone had any dealing with theses? And of course I would need to buy their power wire to rehook everything up.

Greybeard52 08-16-2011 08:57 AM

Ask someone from Arizona, or Death Valley since Texas has become as hot as them these days. I'm from Texas, but have lived in Wyoming for 21 years. I feel sorry for ya'll burning up down there. Good luck with chosing a C.A.I. My K&N is working fine so far. We'll see what happens when we have a blizzard!

Drake371 08-16-2011 10:32 AM

Nearly every county in TX is in a severe drought and they are expecting to only get worse. Maybe someone from the Houston area will chime in here and say what they are using.

The only problem with K&N is the box seals to the hood, well not only does the hood gets hot but its all a heat magnet being black.

KRAZYK 08-16-2011 11:40 AM

Any sort of CAI is going to work pretty much the same.. Yes it is hard to call that hot air on a TX 100+ degree day COLD but it is better then the air coming off of the engine. Point is if its getting the air from anywhere but the engine compartment - you in better shape.

Drake371 08-16-2011 03:24 PM

if the general consensus is that any CAI is better then nothing and will work roughly the same, do I just go ahead and just get anything that fancy me?

I am waiting on email back from AirRam about thier CAI, scoop, and Power Wire...

So far I haven't seen any Volant products will work for me... or did I over look soemthing?