DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Lingering ETC light (lightening bolt) (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=89683)

RedneckRemedy85 08-15-2011 03:45 PM

Lingering ETC light (lightening bolt)

Recently my ETC (lightnening bolt) light has been coming on over the past month. It seems to only come on during hot humid days. It throws a code P2122 and sometimes P2138 and turns my truck into a gutless POS. Its currenty at the dealer being looked at but they don't have a clue where to start looking. They have already put in a new accelerator pedal and PCM to try and solve the issue but have not had any luck. The only other thing it can be is a wiring issue in the harness, and there are a lot of wires. They put in a case to Crysler for help, but I wanted to ask the knowledgable members here if they have had any experience with this issue, or know of a weak point in the harness to maybe start looking for issues. They have had my truck for going on 3 weeks and I would like to bring my baby back home.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

P.S. They are trying to not replace the entire engine harness, but if they do, does anyone know what the cost of a new harness would be?

2009 5.7L Hemi 1500 Sport CC 4x4

GTyankee 08-15-2011 03:57 PM

I can't answer your question, but i strongly suggest if you have not yet reached 36,000 miles,
purchase the LIFETIME MAXIMUM CARE WARRANTY
i waited until almost the last minute to buy it & i have not regretted it one bit

the '09 have a lifetime drive train warranty, but it only covers the basic engine, transmission & rear end parts, no bolt ons

i have 53,000 miles on mine now, & recently had to replace a exhaust manifold & a few other parts, the Max Care Warranty paid for them
only wear parts are not covered, like brakes, tires, fan belts, spark plugs & wires, etc.

RedneckRemedy85 08-16-2011 12:50 PM

Unfortunatly I bought the truck used with 42,000 miles on it already, it currently has 47,000. So I was pretty limited on what I could get for warrenties. In the end, I opted out of the extended warrenty when i bought the truck, so I'm SOL in the departement. I figured any problems the truck had would have worked themselves out by now, and I can typically fix most things myself. Just my luck. If something can go wrong, it will go wrong.

The other thing that burns me is that I called the dealer's service department where i bought the truck from, and they have records of this very issue right before i bought it. But there is nothing i can do, because the problem didn't come back until after the dealers 30-day warrenty. It had to wait until 60-days before having issues.

platinuminjected 08-16-2011 01:35 PM

that really suxs dude and i really hope they find out the problem and it is covered under warranty

RedneckRemedy85 08-17-2011 09:10 AM

Thanks man. For now, I guess I just have to sit and wait.:sad:

RedneckRemedy85 08-22-2011 10:22 AM

Looks like we will be getting a whole new engine harness put in....Great! Should have it back in the next couple days. I will see if it fixes the issue and post and update.

erm 08-22-2011 01:31 PM

Definition of Diagnostic Trouble Code P2122 Category Powertrain
Definition Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "D" Circuit Low

Definition of Diagnostic Trouble Code P2138 Category Powertrain
Definition Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "D"/"E" Voltage Correlation

I wonder if they looked at the throttle body sensor continuity.

One interesting note...for the P2122 code, there's a TSB out for the Town & Country that calls for a harness replacement!

RedneckRemedy85 08-23-2011 11:13 AM

That is an interesting note!!! I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

They chouldn't really check the continuity because the issue is so intermittent... at least thats what i was told.