DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Need help from owners with 4.7L and superchips (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=89829)

snrusnak 08-17-2011 08:31 AM

Need help from owners with 4.7L and superchips

I've had my superchips since february, and have been dealing with superchips pretty much since I bought it to try to eliminate a glitch that my flashpaq 3865 has. I'm not sure, but I think this only applies to 2nd gen 4.7L's (2008+).

Here's the deal:

When the truck is stock the electric radiator fan almost never comes on (AC turned off). If the AC is on the electric fan will come on, it is supposed to. But when the AC is off, I've never heard the electric fan turn on when the engine is under 205 deg F. If you go and tune your truck with the superchips the fan settings are screwed up (even if you select them to be stock). Apparently there is a glitch in the fan settings with the superchips. It says stock is: low 118 deg, med 118 deg, high 222 deg. I think our fans are only one speed. With the truck tuned the fan basically runs constantly.

Superchips sent me an update last week and I just tried it out yesterday and seems that it didn't change anything. I just want to see if any of the others that have the superchips have the same problems....?

starquestbd22 08-17-2011 08:43 AM

Of course you know I have a 2006 but I don't think I have this problem....atleast that I have noticed, lol. Sorry I can't offer more but maybe that helps to confirm that it is isolated to the second gens.

How did you notice this? Does it make enough noise that you heard the difference?

snrusnak 08-17-2011 08:48 AM

Yeah I'm pretty sure the first 4.7L engines did not have an electric fan....don't know though as I don't have a first gen 4.7L...

I didn't notice at first because I just did a quick tune....drove for a week or so then after that I did an advanced tune and noticed it said the stock fan settings were: low 118, med 118, high 222, and I knew that was wrong. I then tuned it to stock and never heard the fan. Then did another quick tune and heard the fan. They took my truck for a day and acknowledged there was a glitch, just haven't been able to get a fix yet...

Greybeard52 08-17-2011 09:48 PM

I just put mine in last week and have only driven it a couple of times, so I haven't noticed. I will pay attention next time and see if the fan is running. I did the Performance tune for 91 octane gas. Thanks for the heads up. I'll post again tomorrow or Friday. I usually drive my Honda Accord to work as it get twice the gas mileage and I live 35 miles from work.

snrusnak 08-18-2011 07:47 AM

Thanks greybeard, would love to hear how yours operates...

BMD0947 09-08-2011 10:08 AM

I'm running the Superchips tuner on my truck as well but I haven't paid any attention to see if the fan is running. I was pleased with it's results. I will listen closer and see if I hear anything odd.

snrusnak 09-08-2011 10:14 AM

I've been working with superchips all year and they finally got an update this week(or last? can't remember....) that fixed the issue. They sent me the update specifically, so I don't think it's gone through to all users yet, but in a few weeks or month or so I'd guess that if you update your tuner it will be fixed.

JakeRam02 09-09-2011 02:02 PM

I'm running an '02 Ram with the 4.7, so this issue doesn't apply to me, but I would like to state that I've had my Flashpaq for almost a year now, and have had issues with it since my purchase. My truck is a standard, 5-speed, but when I program the truck, I get the "P R N D 2 1" display underneath my tach. NOT supposed to be there. I was in contact with superchips multiple, and I mean multiple times, and no solution. They kept trying to tell me to update the programmer but it never worked, and then they eventually tried to tell me that I either did a tranny swap, or that I'm running a PCM from an automatic Ram. Neither of which are true. I just wanted to post this and state that I'm not pleased with the product, mostly because of that issue but because I also saw ZERO power or fuel mileage gains. A waste of $350 IMO.

snrusnak 09-09-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

I'm running an '02 Ram with the 4.7, so this issue doesn't apply to me, but I would like to state that I've had my Flashpaq for almost a year now, and have had issues with it since my purchase. My truck is a standard, 5-speed, but when I program the truck, I get the "P R N D 2 1" display underneath my tach. NOT supposed to be there. I was in contact with superchips multiple, and I mean multiple times, and no solution. They kept trying to tell me to update the programmer but it never worked, and then they eventually tried to tell me that I either did a tranny swap, or that I'm running a PCM from an automatic Ram. Neither of which are true. I just wanted to post this and state that I'm not pleased with the product, mostly because of that issue but because I also saw ZERO power or fuel mileage gains. A waste of $350 IMO.
I've noticed many with the first gen do not notice much difference at all in power gains. The second gen 4.7L is amazing IMO and most tend to agree....That's very strange about the issue you had. Bummer they didn't step up to the plate for you...

Killingducks 09-09-2011 11:23 PM

never had any fan issues while running the superchips tuner in any of the power levels