DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   2 questions for new 2011 Ram owner (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=89874)

thevike93 08-17-2011 06:25 PM

2 questions for new 2011 Ram owner

Just purchased a new 2011 SLT Quad Cab. There's enough information on this forum you could spend days looking at it (I guess more is better than not enough).

I've got a couple questions I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.

First, I've noticed that I can feel the road on the accelerator, mostly just small bumps and patterns in the road. I've never felt this in other trucks that I've owned. Is this normal?

Second, what is the "break in" period on these 5.7 Hemi's? I've got around 1,000 miles on mine and I'm still hesitant to kick it down.

Thanks in advance.

SS4Luck 08-17-2011 07:32 PM

Welcome to the forum!

1) Do you mean you feel the bumps in the road through the gas pedal? These trucks are DBW (drive by wire), and contrary to how it sounds do not have a throttle cable, they are driven electronically. So any vibrations you are feeling would simply be coming through the dram of the truck to the body.

2) All the engines Ive had before I run easy to 1,000 miles, change the oil, and then its game on! Im sure other will say something different, but that is my plan with my 2011

Porter_ 08-17-2011 10:23 PM

1) i feel the vibration in my accelerator pedal as well, though it does not feel like it's associated with the road so much as it's associated with the engine (or some other piece of rotating equipment). i've seen other threads on it, so i suppose it's typical.
2) from the owner's manual:
Quote:

A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.
p.s. i romped on mine occasionally during break-in :). there's two schools of thought: baby it during break-in, and drive it like you stole it. i was somewhere in between.

Crash 08-17-2011 10:27 PM

After 1000 miles just make sure it is up to operating temps then go have fun. IMHO

chuckie 08-18-2011 12:33 AM

I switched to mobil1 oil at 1,000 miles

foothill 08-18-2011 01:31 AM

I have been having so much fun driving my new truck I forgot that I should be "breaking it in". Heck, I have been stomping on it! Gottal love that Hemi speed and sound!

brad12kx 08-18-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thevike93 (Post 593002)
.... I've got around 1,000 miles on mine and I'm still hesitant to kick it down.

Stop hesitating and let the reigns loose. The Hemi was ready by the 300mile mark, and the differential gears were hardened enough by 500 miles, so enjoy your Ram! :woohoo:

2 important things to remember -

1) If your truck is stock form, the electronics go a long way to ensure you can't do anything harmful....but use some discretion. If it breaks - WARRANTY! :smileup:

2) Most Law Enforcement Officers frown on you having too much fun with the Hemi....again, use discretion. :)

RadioFlyer 08-18-2011 07:31 AM

According to other owners, the vibration is coming from where the cable comes through the floorboard. It doesn't bother me so I've never checked it out to see how it is designed. If I remember correctly, they installed a hose where the cable comes in and used silicone to hold it in place sucessfully getting rid of the vibration. You can check it out for yourself if you're up to it, it's the cable vibrating against the hole. I'm sure you could figure out the fix once you see it for yourself...good luck. As far as breakin, I don't even think it would hurt to pull a couple of gears straight off the floor. Actual breakin for seals and seating would take a few thousand miles. So don't be surprised if you see a small puff of smoke or two during that time when you crank it up, mine did and it eventually went away.

thevike93 08-18-2011 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the great info, and piece of mind on the break in period. I went from an 08 Chevy to the Ram.

For anyone that knows hwy 63 from Rochester, MN to Lake City, MN. I can definitely tell the difference pulling our boat with the Ram compared to the 5.3 Silverado. Piece of cake for the Ram. I can't wait to make a trip up to Ontario with this truck.

Sirchris 08-19-2011 01:57 PM

Break in? Dang! I knew I forgot something. I've heard you're supposed to drive/ run a new motor in a variety of speeds/ rpm's. Run it slow, get on it, etc..