DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   South Florida Fuel Economy (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=90054)

jandrso 08-20-2011 06:49 AM

South Florida Fuel Economy

Besides NY or CA, South Florida is probably the most expensive gas around. Right now the average for regular unleaded is hovering aroung $3.90 a gallon.

That said, I began to sort of hypermile the 1500. nothing crazy. I did not overinflate the tires and SoFLa is too darn hot to not use a/c. Just slow even pedal applications and lots of cruise control, even in the city.

Truck only has 850 miles on it so I expect better mileage as things "loosen" up and break in occurs.

15.7 running average city and highway. The limit on expressways here is 65mph. So I go the limit. I never stray under the limit on city streets. My drive times have not really gone much longer and I am really seeing some gains in economy. Of course when I have to pass the Prius going 45mph on the pike, I give the HEMI what it wants.......gas. And whoo Hoo!!!!!! Sucker can move.

Any other suggestions other than what I listed? I don't want to tick the drivers off too much down here as you may have heard, So Fla is the kingdom of road rage and I don't want 9mm bullet hoes all over the truck and me.

CajunDodge 08-20-2011 10:48 AM

Have you thought about doing some mods? CAI/exhaust and adding a programmer when one is available for your truck would be a good start. You can still have just as much fun with your HEMI and probably get some mpg gains as well.

- Cajun

LeroyJaxson 08-20-2011 11:07 AM

I have the same issuebut im a little further north. My first upgrade was a tonneau cover. I just got one from AutoAnything.com. Its a TonnoPro folding cover. I paid $250.00 shipped. It looks good and I didn't have to spend a ton of $$$.

jandrso 08-20-2011 12:16 PM

I'm thinking a cover would surely help. want a CAI and Flowmaster 40 to cap off the mods for now.

Put money down on truck so have to save up some green before mods come though.

DBryant 08-20-2011 03:37 PM

Save your money, the mods and tonneau will not increase your fuel milage, only decrease your bank account. Plus some may void your warranty. The cost of these mods would buy gas for probably a year.

SS4Luck 08-20-2011 04:17 PM

Ive been doing the same thing (trying to get every alst little mpg out of my truck) and am averaging 16.3 combined so far at 830 miles. I use the cruise EVERYTHWERE

EricRN 08-23-2011 09:45 AM

I get around 18.6-7 on the evic combined. I really do use the cruise everywhere and make sure the ECO is on always!

11HEM1 08-23-2011 03:38 PM

Im in Deerfield Beach I just fueled up for 3.59 Thats why I dont live in Boca

jandrso 08-24-2011 01:31 PM

I found Gas Buddy for the Iphone and am using it for all future fuel purchases. Just a few miles from the one station another (county line) is 20 cents cheaper. It adds up when we talk about 26 gallons.

11HEM1 08-24-2011 02:04 PM

I just downloaded gas buddy thanks for the suggestion