DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Muffler + CAI = Very noticable difference (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=90148)

micjulmic 08-21-2011 03:52 PM

Muffler + CAI = Very noticable difference

I just recently had my stock muffler swapped out with a Magnaflow Muffler, and installed a AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake. I must say that there is a measurable increase in throttle response. If I can control my super heavy right foot there is also about a 3-4 mpg increase on average according to my EVIC. The exhaust sound was awesome just with the muffler upgrade, and now it is actually a little more aggressive with the CAI installed. It some how seems to growl even more. I am very happy with how everything came together.

Install on the AFE CAI was actually a breeze. I was sort of worried about that due to some previous posts on the subject. The only complication I had was the 105 degree heat index and 90 % humidity that makes a typical Houston area summer. I was sweating onto everthing which made some of the rubber couplings a little slick to work with. All in all, things went well and really only took about 45 minutes.

It seems like most people who use AFE Cold Air Intakes mention needing to give the adaptive learning of the computer time to adjust to the extra flow. If this is the case then I cant hardly wait to see how much better things will get in the near future.

erm 08-21-2011 04:37 PM

Congrats on a couple of great mods.

micjulmic 08-21-2011 04:57 PM

Thank you Maddog. I am very excited now that I have done my first mods to my truck. LOL believe it or not, my very first mod ever was on a GEO Metro 4 door w/hatchback and a three cylinder motor. I highly modified a cheap cold air intake for a honda accord to get it to fit. What a huge leap from then to now. I am impressed with what I have done with my truck, and I can't wait to convince my wife to let me do more.

caswell239 08-21-2011 05:39 PM

What muffler number you use?

Sirchris 08-21-2011 05:54 PM

X2 on the muffler. Did you change the muffler only? Is your truck single exhaust? I've got a factory single exhaust and you've covered the first two mods I'd like to make.

2010Sport 08-21-2011 05:56 PM

I just recently installed the same intake (already had the Magnaflow muffler). I like it a lot, noticed increases across the board. I also ordered a Speedlogix catch can, 180 degree T-stat and a Predator tuner.. Best pricing I found.

SS4Luck 08-21-2011 08:04 PM

Congrats! Now where are our pics and video! :gy:

wannab 08-21-2011 08:11 PM

Per my Gtech, you are looking at around 6 tenths off your 0.60 times.

Bordin 08-21-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010Sport (Post 595602)
I just recently installed the same intake (already had the Magnaflow muffler). I like it a lot, noticed increases across the board. I also ordered a Speedlogix catch can, 180 degree T-stat and a Predator tuner.. Best pricing I found.

Make us all 2011's jealous eh...
Damn diablo taking their time with our tuners

But sick truck man, can't wait to see all the mods

2010Sport 08-21-2011 10:34 PM

Thanks Bordin, I like your truck too man. I want headlights of some sort, I'm ordering a set of Halo's from ACCstyle and blacking the lenses, also HID lows and fogs.. No idea what to get as a kit thou. I also have an undercover tonneau, oem fender flares colour matched, de-badged and the Ram emblems blacked out. Got an MTX Thunderform dual 10" box under the rear seat. Also got some 6.1L injectors and I'm waiting for the Bilstien 5100 adjustable shocks front/rear I ordered like 5 weeks ago.... I also did some custom black/orange painting inside... It looks good so I've been told, but I wish I had done a better job. Oh and I am like best buds with the parts manager at the local Chrysler so he is buying my chrome running boards and trading for the black ones cause they need a set asap. So I lucked out there. And he's buying my OEM rims back and selling me a set of black XD Rockstar rims, I have to pay like $200 bones for this whole package. Sorry for stealing away the thread there.. I'm not happy with the truck right now, thus no pics :S They'll come soon enough.