DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Opinions wanted (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=90213)

LUBINATOR 08-22-2011 08:51 AM

Opinions wanted

Hi guys and gals,

I want to get some input.

I know a less restrictive exhaust will help performance somewhat and may even get you a mile or so mileage.

Here is my question:

I have a 2009 4.7 QC with no performance mods except a K&N drop in. I personally feel the factory air box set up is as good as any CAI for what I need.

What exhaust will offer me some less restriction and not cause air sensor problems. I do not want noise, I am a music person, and the noise level in my QC is great and I would like to keep it that way.

The only other mod I may put on is a tuner to help "crisp up the shift points.

Any corrections to my thinking would be appreciated.

Less restriction, better shifting, and mileage improve or stay the same but no drop. I do not have a heavy foot normally, but I am glad to have the power when I need to.

Also here is my silly question: Where are the resonators on my exhaust? I looked underneath, I see the muffler, I found the Cats, but I must be missing these Resonators. Be gentle, I'm almost 60. can't see real well lol

If I have them will I still see the benifits of a Maganflow Muffler if I leave them on? Again I do like the quiet ride.

Thanks in advance.

Richie

916Timmy 08-22-2011 08:59 AM

Sounds like a good plan Richie. For the exhaust, I would go with a 22" Magnafow...straight through design that will sound almost stock. Just swapping out the muffler will be fine and no codes. And the DiabloSport Predator has a new mileage booster tune that seems to work pretty good from what I have seen so far.

snrusnak 08-22-2011 12:09 PM

^good advice there. Magnaflow makes great mufflers, dynomax is another good choice that may be cheaper. Stick with a straight through design. A muffler swap won't give you and codes or sensor issues or anything like that. The longer the muffler, the quieter it will be. Since you're keeping the stock resonators, I agree the 22" would sound very mellow at cruising, but sound mean when you get on it. A flashpaq or predator along with the the intake and the exhaust would go great together. I seem to get the best mpg with the 93 performance tune with my flashpaq.

erm 08-22-2011 12:57 PM

I agree with that ^^^^ and the resonators should be near the end of your tailpipe.

bigredtruck 08-26-2011 01:32 PM

The "resonator" is actually at the end of the system right before the tip. its small. you wouldnt see it if you didnt know what it was. If you want to go aftermarket but not get loud i would ADD an aftermaket resonator BEFORE the muffler. I swapped out my factory muffler for a Dynomax and its pretty loud compared to factory. Straight through design is your best bet for performance (Magnaflow, Dynomax). and like stated above the longer the muffler the quiter it will be.

snrusnak 08-26-2011 06:50 PM

Gotta ask why would you want the resonator before the muffler? Never heard this..?

erm 08-26-2011 07:50 PM

Yeah...good question, snrusnak. The resonators are there to attenuate the muffler gas pulses and resonance.

TheSatinPumpkin 08-26-2011 10:44 PM

Thought i had two mufflers when i first saw mine lol. One right at the tail exit was def' not small.

moparmanicac 08-27-2011 06:50 AM

sounds like a good plan not to sound like a Dick but I do not really think just a muffler would do anything for ya outside of sound. besides that I like your plan goodluck and let us know!

bigredtruck 09-07-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 599288)
Gotta ask why would you want the resonator before the muffler? Never heard this..?

let me rephrase.....another muffler not resonator.

There...is that better?!:smileup: