DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Metal Clanking noise behind rear seat? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=90216)

jkotys 08-22-2011 09:55 AM

Metal Clanking noise behind rear seat?

Bought a 2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab and when slowly driving across bumps I hear a metal clanking sound that seems to be coming behind the rear seats of even door pillars. Anyone know what this could be??? It doesn't do this when driving faster the 30mph only at slow speeds around town.

herc 08-22-2011 11:23 AM

One easy thing to check is the seatbelts. I noticed early on in mine that the seatbelts don't normally return to the position they're supposed to be in after someone takes one off. They retract completely, but the buckle insert usually ends up turned a bit. In that position, it bumps against the pillar, and does sound like metal clunking. Just straightening it so the metal piece sits flat againsts the belt eliminates it.

SS4Luck 08-22-2011 01:10 PM

Im having the same FREAKING problem and was actually coming on to post about it. Ill try the seat belt trick on my way home from work. To me it sounded more like exhaust/tailgate rattle

erm 08-22-2011 01:13 PM

Where is the jack located on your truck? Make sure the fastening devices are on tight.

GTyankee 08-22-2011 05:21 PM

i left the dealership once red faced
i thought there was a noise in my front passenger door, turned out it was the seat belt

the jack is under the front passenger seat, the locking lug nut key may be making a noise

SS4Luck 08-22-2011 07:24 PM

Checked the seat belts, nothing, move them around a little, nothing.

Jack is under the seat and tight, no change in noise, took the jack out, no change in noise.

Im debating taking my tailgate off and see if that makes a dif. Were going to have a week of beautiful weather which means all windows down and sliding window open and that stupid rattle makes me want to drive into a freaking ditch

Blackthunder 08-22-2011 08:00 PM

I get a slight rattling sound from my rear seat also.

I have been able to duplicate the sound by slightly tapping on the front side of the rear seat back. It almost sounds like the springs in back of the seat are rattling.

Don't get the noise if there is a passenger riding back there.

Studbuster 08-22-2011 10:37 PM

Jack handle/lug wrench stowed properly under right rear seat?
Any thing loose in the under floor storage boxes?

SS4Luck 08-22-2011 11:08 PM

The jack is out of the truck, the tailgate is off the truck, the seat belts are clipped into their recievers, the truck is 100% empty....

noise is still there

im ripping my hair out

trucks going to the dealer tomorrow, I can replicate it going over speed bumps, gutters, any sort of bump, Ive practiced.... this f****r is getting fixed or blown up... whichever is easier, because Im to the point of ripping my hair out this is so annoying to have in a truck that Ive had for literally 1 week

Hawkinsgold 08-22-2011 11:23 PM

I had a similar noise, until I realized that I had the tow bar in the trailer hitch receiver and it was what was rattling over bumps.