DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Starting issue? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=90279)

Georges98 08-23-2011 01:53 AM

Starting issue?

Hey guys not new the the Dodge family, but recently stepped up to a Ram after selling my 170k Rust/Black '96 Dakota. (Been on the Gen 1 dak area)

So anyways I now have a '98 Ram 1500 White/Grayish From Arizona (No rust!) and a 360/Auto.

Drove great when I bought it out by my grandmas place out there, used it to drive around the valley when I was visiting, then drove it back to Chicago. In july.

Noticed about 3 weeks back (In chicago) that it wouldnt start until the volt meter creeped up. Would creep from about 10-11 ish to I'd say 13/14, then fire.

Then I replaced the terminals after it would do it more and more often over the next week. Seemed like the problem went away. Charging fine, reading 14 on the meter while driving.

Flash forward to yesterday, I noticed it did the thing where it would Half crank, then click, just once, not click-click-click fast like a low battery. Then it just would click once and not do anything (A solenoid click)

Got a jump after work (15 hour day) Then it started, drove over to the store up the highway about 4 miles, got a new battery, went out the truck, and it fired right up :Angry:.

Went home and installed the new battery (Since the old one was a 9 year old NAPA that was too small) and have the same problems. Sometimes it will click once, sometimes it will half crank then click, and for the last 3 hours of trouble shooting, it will fire right up. Headlights are strong, all accesories work etc.

Where else do I look?

Sorry for the long post fellas, and i hope to get some pics of the truck up when this is figured out.

Thanks in advance yall!

George

jssmith76 08-23-2011 03:29 PM

Sounds like a similar problem I had with my '97 recently. Mine ended up needed a new ignition coil. Best I can say is find a reputable (cheap) shop nearby, have then run some diagnostics on it. Hopefully, it will be something minor like that.

Thanks,
Josh

98red 08-23-2011 03:38 PM

to the guy who needed a new ignition coil! i have a 98 and it will click once when i try to start it then i will turn the key off and try again and it starts up! so i think i may need the same thing. How much did the ignition coil run you?

jssmith76 08-23-2011 03:58 PM

I had a shop do it for me, as well as a couple other things, but the coil was $60 and the labor was $40. So $100 just for that part of the job.

Thanks,
Josh

Georges98 08-23-2011 04:21 PM

Thanks guys.

Jssmith : What were the exact symptoms you experienced? I've already swapped relays, replaced/cleaned the terminals/grounds.

Im interested to know what was the problem before you had the coil replaced.

jssmith76 08-23-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georges98 (Post 597092)
Thanks guys.

Jssmith : What were the exact symptoms you experienced? I've already swapped relays, replaced/cleaned the terminals/grounds.

Im interested to know what was the problem before you had the coil replaced.

Ahhh, lets see... Like you stated, intermittent starting, long starting (crank, crank, crank, finally start). Sometimes not starting. sometimes, she would start up just fine, but most of the time, she was having a rough time starting (hot or cold).

I'm always looking at my battery gauge and that always read fine. But, at one time my battery did die and got a free replacement, but that's off topic.

The final straw was one morning it took a few cranks to start, finally started, then ten minutes later on the freeway, the engine died and would not start back up. That's when I had it towed to the shop, they looked around and found it was the ignition coil.

Hope this helps, and I hope you figure out whats going on.

Josh