DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Are side mirrors interchangeable? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=90644)

Mudder 08-28-2011 03:25 AM

Are side mirrors interchangeable?

My truck came with the just black heated mirrors and I prefer the looks of the chrome mirrors with the built in puddle lights etc. I wondered if they could simply be swapped out or if additional wiring would be required?

garner 08-28-2011 03:37 AM

The mirrors you're talking about are the ones on the laramies and laramie longhorns. I believe extra wiring may be needed because they tilt down when you back up

Mudder 08-28-2011 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garner (Post 600251)
The mirrors you're talking about are the ones on the laramies and laramie longhorns. I believe extra wiring may be needed because they tilt down when you back up

Wow, had no idea they did that.

SS4Luck 08-28-2011 03:57 AM

Can you just swap mirror covers maybe? Cuz i want to put white ones on my truck but it we have to swap over the whole mirror I may just pull mine off and have them painted

Mudder 08-28-2011 04:01 AM

I would, but I don't think they made chrome mirrors that didn't have the puddle lamps, did they?

garner 08-28-2011 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS4Luck (Post 600263)
Can you just swap mirror covers maybe? Cuz i want to put white ones on my truck but it we have to swap over the whole mirror I may just pull mine off and have them painted

Do you have the mirrors with turn signals/entry lights?

garner 08-28-2011 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudder (Post 600264)
I would, but I don't think they made chrome mirrors that didn't have the puddle lamps, did they?

Nope. No chrome mirrors without the puddle lamps

ramfan1500 08-28-2011 02:09 PM

I have a 2010 ram trx that came with black heated mirrors without puddle lamps in them. I swapped them out for a set of factory mirrors that had puddle lamps in them. The puddle lamps will not light up but the mirrors will darken now when a car is behind you so it was not a total waste of time. I took my truck to the dealer and had it flashed so that the lamps would work also but they tried and could not get them to come on because my truck did not come with them from the factory so the evic does not allow you to turn them on or make the mirrors tilt down when the truck is put in reverse, hope this helps

Porter_ 08-28-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramfan1500 (Post 600409)
I have a 2010 ram trx that came with black heated mirrors without puddle lamps in them. I swapped them out for a set of factory mirrors that had puddle lamps in them. The puddle lamps will not light up but the mirrors will darken now when a car is behind you so it was not a total waste of time. I took my truck to the dealer and had it flashed so that the lamps would work also but they tried and could not get them to come on because my truck did not come with them from the factory so the evic does not allow you to turn them on or make the mirrors tilt down when the truck is put in reverse, hope this helps

you'd think they would be able to flash the ECU so the puddle lamps can operate. unless there's an extra physical wiring harness, it should just be a matter of software control. it's a shame to read this because i would also consider swapping over to the nicer mirrors.

Mudder 08-28-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramfan1500 (Post 600409)

Great info, thanks. So basically, the swap would be purely cosmetic and the lights would be there just for show. Still, I like the chrome. Don't know if thatd bother me too much or not. So the mirrors still functioned just as your stock ones did, you just didnt get the benefits of the built in lights, correct? Tough call, hmm.