DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Exhaust/Muffler Question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=90982)

ShotGunWillie 09-01-2011 11:42 AM

Exhaust/Muffler Question

I currently have a stock muffler, single in/single out. I have installed an AFE CAI, but want to increase flow in and out, so I am going to have a FlowMaster 50 installed. I am looking at going back with the stock set up, single in/single out. Is there a benefit to having a single in/dual out set up. Does it matter or is it a looks thing? If single in/dual out will increase the air flow, generate more HP, and provide oppotunities for mpg to go up, then I will do it, but if single in/single out performs the same way as the dual out, then I will stick with that.

Thoughts....

snrusnak 09-01-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

I currently have a stock muffler, single in/single out. I have installed an AFE CAI, but want to increase flow in and out, so I am going to have a FlowMaster 50 installed. I am looking at going back with the stock set up, single in/single out. Is there a benefit to having a single in/dual out set up. Does it matter or is it a looks thing? If single in/dual out will increase the air flow, generate more HP, and provide oppotunities for mpg to go up, then I will do it, but if single in/single out performs the same way as the dual out, then I will stick with that.

Thoughts....
The dual outs is mainly a looks thing. As long as the single pipe can flow enough it will perform just as well(and our rams have 3" diameter exhaust pipe that flows enough), so you wouldn't benefit from dual out. I highly recommend though that you go with a straight through type muffler(magnaflow, dynomax, others....) instead of flowmaster, as flowmaster is baffled/chambered and does not do much for performance. If you want to go a step further replace the stock y pipe also. The rest of the exhaust is pretty good unless you really go far with engine mods.

I plan on doing something similar with my truck, I am replacing the stock muffler with the 14" magnaflow muffler, and also will be replacing the stock y pipe.

moparmanicac 09-01-2011 02:39 PM

agreed a flowmaster is more of a sound thing a straight through would provide more real world performance. look into thrush weldeds I love that on my Dakota or some nice cherrys

erm 09-01-2011 03:50 PM

A single in / dual out is more aesthetics than anything else.

I have not seen any data on whether they flow better or not.

When you do the flowmaster, keep your stock tailpipes. They have resonators on them and you'll want to keep them on the truck.