DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   V10 power capability (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=91152)

Swaggerville Ram 09-03-2011 04:29 PM

V10 power capability

Is the V10 magnum capable of producing 700hp at 488ci?
no power adders.
this would be on race fuel, pistons and rods would be changed.
Can the Iron heads flow well enough, after porting?
Crank?
Mains?
Block?
are they strong enough

RedRam10 09-08-2011 11:31 PM

I don't have an answer so, it's time to .........:icon_bump:........... this back to the top!

snrusnak 09-08-2011 11:55 PM

Wow that's a pretty far stretch, but I suppose it's possible, probably not streetable NA though. Usually 1hp/cid is considered good, your aiming for nearly 1.5hp/cid, definitely possible....just a tall order, need to know what to build. I would think a 600 hp number would be SOMEWHAT easily achievable on 93 octane....

95dodgeV10 09-25-2011 06:44 PM

theres a guy on here making 500 hp at the rear tires (with 33s) using a fairly mild setup. he does have a procharger i believe but says theyre kinda over rated. got a custom ground cam and him and his brother flashed the ecm. i think its possible to get that kind of power but i dont know how many factory parts could be used.

Swaggerville Ram 09-25-2011 11:39 PM

i'm looking to sled pull with it. Class limited. So no chargers, OEM heads only, ETC. THis is really only a thought at this point, as there are zero Dodges in the class I want to pull in so instead of doing the 440 thing, I thought maybe i can buy the complete truck with the V10 and go from there.
I have a lot of obstacles to overcome with it but I am researching what I can however i'm not finding a great deal of Info on the RAM V10. I may have to be doing some pioneering.... Just hate to dump a bunch of money on a bottom end and have the block split in half.
IT may get way too expensive to be worthwhile, but finding a 440 and max wedge heads isn't always cheap and easy anymore either.

95dodgeV10 09-26-2011 06:10 PM

as far as the block goes i dont think youll have to worry too much. i dont know if you have seen a bare v10 block but theyre built like a freight train engine. the casting is very heavy built and alot of engineering went into them to make them as rigid as possible. (rumor has it Lamborghini helped design the engine years ago) i havnt actually seen a set of head so im not sure what potential they have. if you manage to build the thing up keep me posted cause im wanting to turn mine into a mud bogger and was planning a major rebuild hoping for 600 hp or so, already have a bare block fully machined. a web site you might find useful for some info is http://dodgeram.org/ram.html its pretty much all factory specs but might be useful.

mayor tom 12-25-2011 11:39 PM

i've heard that the stock cranks on sum of the early years didnt hold up (breaking) i had a 97 with a 10 in it and at that time headers and duals were bout as far as u can go oh yeah k&n filter i made my own throtle body spacer and opened up the opening of my throtle body butterfly plate edelbrock has aftermarket heads and not sure but either crane or comp cams have cam/ springs kits for them. on mine i yanked the heads off and pocket ported and smoothed the runners and matched ported the intake to heads theres lots of metal you can remove i kept up with my cousin in ths 02 diesel but he pulled away at top end i'd say the biggest improvement will be in compression that engine prob only had 8.7 to 9.0:1 have to dig my book outand check there was one guy that ran a v10m in truck pulls it never did run that well he had problems ,seem to run out of power 1/2 track not sure what was done to motor kinda of an odd guy , guess he didnt want to reveal his secrets or mistakes i'm into truck pulling also so if i find out anything bout these motors i'll drop you a note

HemiLonestar 12-26-2011 06:21 AM

Lambo didn't help with the cast iron side of things, they converted it to make it work in aluminum for the Viper. As long as you can put strong enough parts into it, the assembly should hold up. You will definitely need a custom ground cam and a ton of head work (bigger valves, porting, etc). The next limiting factor will the intake manifold, as I don't think the factory piece will help you and haven't seen too many (if any?) aftermarket manifolds for this engine. If custom sheet metal is allowed in the class then you may be in luck and you can go carb'd instead of trying to tune this thing electronically. If you manage to make it work, try to keep us updated here as I am interested to see how this turns out (always thought this was an underappreciated engine).

95dodgeV10 12-26-2011 09:01 PM

my understanding is lambo helped develop the truck v10 specifically because at the time period lambo came in the viper was already alive and kickin. and this was coming from a reliable dodge/chrysler website where iv found alot of specs that i havnt found anywhere else.

HemiLonestar 12-28-2011 02:06 PM

I got in trouble for reading the engineering report during a high school class (trig I think). Late 80's is when they started developing it, as Dodge had nothing gas powered to counter the 454 Chevy and 460 Ford in trucks (440 tooling was scrapped after '78 MY). They literally brazed 2 more cylinders on to a 360. After initial development, it was deemed too heavy for the upcoming Viper and Lambo was tasked (due to their experience with long aluminum engines) with recasting it and making it functional in aluminum.