DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   my IOD fuse keeps blowing and I'm trying to trouble shoot (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=91449)

mgaither0 09-07-2011 01:05 PM

my IOD fuse keeps blowing and I'm trying to trouble shoot

I'm trying to figure out what is causing my IOD fuse to keep blowing. This is my first post on this site as I just joined. I've posted on another site before and got a few ideas. So here is what I've tried so far. I unplugged the light harness under the hood. No success. I took the radio out and looked at the wiring harness and found some exposed wires. I taped them and no success. I've tried to look over the wires and havnt really found anything wrong. It was alos suggested to me to remove the sensors in the door jams and see if this solves the problem? The IOD sensor is controlling my overhead dome lights, my radio, and my lights under the hood and my PCU port so I can't pull any codes from the computer. Any ideas would be awesome. I'm looking forward to this forum

Dalton 09-07-2011 08:16 PM

Did u add any aftermarket electrical parts or do anything unusual before this started?

brad12kx 09-07-2011 09:06 PM

Remove the sensors in the door jams ???? :wow: Don't waste your time...that will accomplish absolutely nothing.

the IOD fuse (#12 - 10amp) feeds out of the junction box (fuse box on side of dash) on 3 wires -
Connecter C2 - Pin3 - Pink wire (20 awg)
This feeds the Underhood light only.

Connector C3 - Pin 6 - Pink wire (20 or 22 awg...model options dependent)
This feeds the overhead console and (if equipped) the left and right visor/vanity lights.

Connector C7 - Pin 9 - Pink wire (22 awg)
This feeds to a wiring junction #5 (At the left side of the instrument panel) which feeds -
a) Splice 310 (I believe this is behind the left kick panel) which feeds Power mirror switch, dome light and cargo lights.
b) Data link connector
c) Radio
d)Glove box light

If possible/practical, I would disconnect each of the 3 wires from the fuse box, one at a time to isolate the problem circuit and minimize the search area, then trace from there.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

camoman214 09-13-2011 12:58 AM

Did you ever figure anything out with this?

Esqeezme 06-14-2012 04:45 PM

I would like to know if you found anything also. I have the same problem with my 2007 Ram Quad.

BigHorn09 02-25-2013 04:58 PM

I'm having a similar issue. M34 fuse that controls my dome lights and steering wheel audio controls keep blowing. Any help?

Esqeezme 02-26-2013 10:40 AM

Found the problem

I found the problem causing my fuse to blow. The wire to the right visor vanity lite shorted inside against the sharp edges in cab roof. I had pulled the wire before and it stopped after exposing about 2-3 inches. after much troubleshooting (with no luck) I went back and pulled visors down again. I noticed left wire was about 6 inches long, right was only 3. After some wiggling and more pulling, the right visor wire did release and reveal 6 inches and the problem. If you feel inside the mount opening for the visor be careful. The sheet metal is razor sharp and cut through the wire (vibration?) causing a short. All I had to do was inspect the wiring to be sure no other damage occurred and tape it up real good. Everything works fine now. No more blown fuses! And the dealer wanted $400 to troubleshoot.