DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   MotoBlue GEN X Underdrive pulley (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=91524)

BadHazard 09-08-2011 11:57 AM

MotoBlue GEN X Underdrive pulley

Has anyone ever ran one of these? Any increases? hp, mpg?

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/ramhemiasp.htm

Worth the 145$

ORT 09-08-2011 12:07 PM

I haven't personally run one but I am planning on getting an underdrive pulley in the next month or two. From the reading I have done it seems like guys have been gaining a few hp at the wheels and the engine spins up more quickly than with stock.

snrusnak 09-08-2011 12:22 PM

Underdrive pulleys do help. They do not increase the power output of the engine, but free up some power by taking away some of the parasitic loss on the engine accessories. It takes some power to turn the accessories, so if you use an underdrive pulley you will pick up a couple hp. They are usually lighter as well which helps this same concept. Some people that use them and have large electrical demands (audio or video...) also need an overdrive alternator pulley to keep up with the electrical demand. Most companies that sell underdrive crank pulleys sell matching overdrive alternator pulleys. Be careful and do some research on the company, some people have run no name underdrive pulleys/harmonic balancers and ruin their engines. The harmonic balancer/dampener is a vital part of the engine, it soaks up harsh imbalances(harmonics) that would otherwise destroy the internals if it weren't there. I've seen a guy take all accessories off his engine including the crank pulley/balancer, and didn't even make it one pass down the track before his engine blew...

That price seems a little cheap from other prices I've seen, but if you find others using the same product from the same company for some period of time without any damage, it's probably fine. One of the biggest names in quality dampeners is ATI just FYI maybe you could compare...

TheSatinPumpkin 09-08-2011 12:25 PM

There were quite a few threads years ago that motorblu/asp underdrives that were pulley first and harmonic damper second which caused toner rings to blow.

Haven't read recent cases so maybe its all good.

I would avoid purchasing anything from rpmoutlet.

ORT 09-08-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 608541)
Underdrive pulleys do help. They do not increase the power output of the engine, but free up some power by taking away some of the parasitic loss on the engine accessories. It takes some power to turn the accessories, so if you use an underdrive pulley you will pick up a couple hp. They are usually lighter as well which helps this same concept. Some people that use them and have large electrical demands (audio or video...) also need an overdrive alternator pulley to keep up with the electrical demand. Most companies that sell underdrive crank pulleys sell matching overdrive alternator pulleys. Be careful and do some research on the company, some people have run no name underdrive pulleys/harmonic balancers and ruin their engines. The harmonic balancer/dampener is a vital part of the engine, it soaks up harsh imbalances(harmonics) that would otherwise destroy the internals if it weren't there. I've seen a guy take all accessories off his engine including the crank pulley/balancer, and didn't even make it one pass down the track before his engine blew...

That price seems a little cheap from other prices I've seen, but if you find others using the same product from the same company for some period of time without any damage, it's probably fine. One of the biggest names in quality dampeners is ATI just FYI maybe you could compare...

The original motoblue was blowing a lot of hemis back when they first came out. Not sure if the new one's are any good but I personally am leery of motoblue after what happened with their original attempt at an underdrive.

snrusnak 09-08-2011 01:07 PM

Yeah I would invest in a better known brand, I think some use the summit brand with good results.

BadHazard 09-08-2011 01:53 PM

alright, well def think this is a to do on my mod list. Ill look into other brands. Thanks guys.

snrusnak 09-08-2011 01:58 PM

Good luck, post back with results on what brand you go with, more info on these would be great to have :)

BadHazard 09-08-2011 02:07 PM

will do, might be a while. I just got a SC and my next mod will prolly be some pacesetter LT's :)

05ram 09-08-2011 10:05 PM

I'm using the summit that cost $215 so that $145 is tempting, I dont know anything about them but it looks just like my summit one. Keep us posted.