DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Transmission? 4l60e? 4l80e? maybe? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=91586)

ramer48 09-09-2011 03:11 AM

Transmission? 4l60e? 4l80e? maybe?
 
I want to know if i can put a 4l60e or 4l80e behind my hemi? im looking for somthing strong, dependable, and maye a little quicker?

SS4Luck 09-09-2011 01:00 PM

I wouldnt bother with a 60, jsut go straight to an 80 if you can make them work. Seems like A LOT of custom stuff would be needed though

CHVYKLR 09-10-2011 10:04 PM

if you can make it work I'm sure there would be plenty of interest on here...especially me. Not sure who could get it to bolt up....Advance Adapters?

I think your best bet would be to wait a few more months and see about getting a 66RFE. It's the gas transmission being used in the '12 2500/3500 and is basically a 545RFE with 68RFE internals. I think it might bolt up.

Daytona1445 09-12-2011 02:18 AM

Bowler Transmissions sells or did sell a kit to bolt a 4L80E up to the hemi. The kit is like $900. Then you need a trans and a stand alone controller. Oh and you have to have someone program your stock computer so it doesn't spit out codes from not seeing the transmission.
http://bowlertransmissions.com/ItemD...aspx?iid=%2075

sprintertech 09-12-2011 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramer48 (Post 609469)
I want to know if i can put a 4l60e or 4l80e behind my hemi? im looking for somthing strong, dependable, and maye a little quicker?

first let me say that you are crazy if you think a 4l60 is a more durable unit....dude it doesnt stand up to a 300hp car.....the 4l80 is comparable to the 545rfe in durability but its also as much as a horsepower robber as the 545rfe.....just for reference a 545rfe can be built to hold over 1000lbs/ft of torque......now having got that off my chest if i were going to run any unit other then the 545rfe id want the nag1 from the lx cars....its without a doubt the most bullet proof light tranny available today and with a few mods will easily laugh at over 1000hp......

Daytona1445 09-12-2011 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintertech (Post 611627)
first let me say that you are crazy if you think a 4l60 is a more durable unit....dude it doesnt stand up to a 300hp car.....the 4l80 is comparable to the 545rfe in durability but its also as much as a horsepower robber as the 545rfe.....just for reference a 545rfe can be built to hold over 1000lbs/ft of torque......now having got that off my chest if i were going to run any unit other then the 545rfe id want the nag1 from the lx cars....its without a doubt the most bullet proof light tranny available today and with a few mods will easily laugh at over 1000hp......

The nag1 would also be a cheaper option than the 4L80
The nag1 will bolt upto the hemi since it works for the cars. Just need the correct flex plate and tc to go with it.
custom trans mount, custom drive shaft, and controller which are all things you would need with any swap.

SS4Luck 09-12-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintertech (Post 611627)
first let me say that you are crazy if you think a 4l60 is a more durable unit....dude it doesnt stand up to a 300hp car.....the 4l80 is comparable to the 545rfe in durability but its also as much as a horsepower robber as the 545rfe.....just for reference a 545rfe can be built to hold over 1000lbs/ft of torque......now having got that off my chest if i were going to run any unit other then the 545rfe id want the nag1 from the lx cars....its without a doubt the most bullet proof light tranny available today and with a few mods will easily laugh at over 1000hp......

There are 4L60/80s going well into the single digits at the 1000 mark... where do you get your info from? RPMTransmissions among others have proven their durability.

Morons that throw boost and h/c/n2o at a stock one may make it seem like they arent a great trans, but when done the correct way they are amazing

sprintertech 09-12-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS4Luck (Post 611841)
where do you get your info from?

ive been inside all these units and i do realize a 4l60 can be built to be pretty stout and the 4l80 is pretty stout from the get go.....either way a built 4l60 in a high horsepower truck build isnt going to survive the abuse....its simply too small.......big difference between a 3400lb f-body and a 5300lb truck.....why do you think most guys who use f-bodies dont bother with the 4l60.....and besides a stock 4l60 is a hands down pos....

RadioFlyer 09-13-2011 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS4Luck (Post 611841)
There are 4L60/80s going well into the single digits at the 1000 mark... where do you get your info from? RPMTransmissions among others have proven their durability.

Morons that throw boost and h/c/n2o at a stock one may make it seem like they arent a great trans, but when done the correct way they are amazing

Lol, I agree with you and I also believe the 480LE would better choice than the 4L60. TCI uses the 4L80E as a base for their six speed so that ought to tell you something right there. I think either Nag1 or TCI six speed would be a good choice. I would go bananas come purchase time with money to burn trying to decide which one would be best for me. I'm sure you all know that you can go cheaper routes but that depends on the hp build you have. I have my eyes on the new 66RFE at the moment but I'm not sure if it's solid or if they'll have a kit for it. I'm still waiting for it to hit the shelves and get the specs. If it doesn't work out I'm leaning towards the TCI good for 850 hp (without the billet shaft). Everything about it looks good and I'm kind of digging the paddle shifter idea.

SS4Luck 09-13-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintertech (Post 612167)
ive been inside all these units and i do realize a 4l60 can be built to be pretty stout and the 4l80 is pretty stout from the get go.....either way a built 4l60 in a high horsepower truck build isnt going to survive the abuse....its simply too small.......big difference between a 3400lb f-body and a 5300lb truck.....why do you think most guys who use f-bodies dont bother with the 4l60.....and besides a stock 4l60 is a hands down pos....

We also arent talking about a stock application in this situation though. I agree you take a stock 4L60 and throw it at a truck and its life is severly shortened. GM did put them in their 1500s as well though and after we went through my friends '60 after he broke it a few times and spend minor minor $$ on it (talking less that $500) he has been running for a few years with no problems at all and he beats the piss out of his truck. Give the choice between 60 or 80 the 80 is a no brainer, but the 60 is no slouch

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioFlyer (Post 612372)
TCI uses the 4L80E as a base for their six speed so that ought to tell you something right there. I think either Nag1 or TCI six speed would be a good choice. I would go bananas come purchase time with money to burn trying to decide which one would be best for me. I'm sure you all know that you can go cheaper routes but that depends on the hp build you have. I have my eyes on the new 66RFE at the moment but I'm not sure if it's solid or if they'll have a kit for it. I'm still waiting for it to hit the shelves and get the specs. If it doesn't work out I'm leaning towards the TCI good for 850 hp (without the billet shaft). Everything about it looks good and I'm kind of digging the paddle shifter idea.

The TCI stuff is amazing. A friends dad has the 6speed auto behind an LS7 in an early 40s ford and he has never once said anything bad about it


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger