DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   No Electricity in SoCal (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=91628)

GTyankee 09-09-2011 07:30 PM

No Electricity in SoCal

Yesterday there was NO electricity in parts of Arizona, Mexico, & California south of Los Angeles.
A power plant in Arizona was getting ROUTINE maintenance, a piece of equipment needed to be replaced before it caused a major blackout, something happened during the process & the lights went off in Paradise, at about 3:30 pm.
The worst part i guess was the very high temperatures, no A/C, no electricity for those depending on Medical Equipment. All the signal lights were out & people were blasting through intersections, instead of using the 4 way stop rule.
No one had any thing to get through an extended emergency like this.

I went immediately to the corner store & picked up 4 bags of ice, i figured there would be a run on ice, batteries, flashlights, & water. I paid $2 a bag for ice, 7 pounds each... Later the same store was selling EACH bag for $5
I then found my emergency candles & a hurricane lantern. Then i found a few flash lights & started putting the D cell batteries in my lights, & a large transistor radio. I was the only person that had a non plug in radio.
I gave a bag of ice to a neighbor that has a heart problem, so her refrigerator would stay cool. I loaded up 1 large cooler with beer & another with soda & water & iced them down. The last bag of ice went into my own refrigerator.

If i learned one thing, don't have your Emergency flashlights candles, lamps, & D cell batteries in different places, if it had been during the night, i don't think that i would have found the batteries so easily, but i do have 2 other working flashlights in my Ram.

One other thing that may help others,
IF you happen to have those SOLAR POWERED lights along your sidewalk, put one in each room that is used during a emergency. Then you don't need candles that could be bumped over & start a fire

The Fire Department & Police were kept very busy, with fires, accidents, medical emergencies, vandalism & theft

The electricity was only off from 3:30 PM to between 2 or 3 AM at my place, if it was still out, i would have fired up my generator, it is buried out in the garage

Now i need to replace the stuff that i used & take the batteries back out of the extra flashlights & radio

ORT 09-09-2011 08:06 PM

I saw this story on the news tonight. It is nuts to think that one guy could cause an outage of that size.

BlueJet 09-09-2011 08:59 PM

I saw this yesterday too and had all kinds of thoughts about it. Living out back here you have to be prepared, ALL the time. We still lose power every so often but people don't bitch and complain about it. It can happen to any one, any time - be prepared!!

CajunDodge 09-09-2011 09:38 PM

I saw that on the news too and like Stacy said, we're so used to being prepared down here all the time. Guess it just surprised me a bit to find out how much of CA's power is what they called "imported" from other states, I did not know that. Nothing unusual for us to lose power, sometimes even on a nice sunny day lol but it doesn't create quite the disturbance as it does in other places and at least drivers are courteous and obey the rules when signals are out, often without police doing traffic control. Some good advice there though GT, espcially about those solar lights, great idea! I usually keep an extra bag of ice in my freezer just for stuff like that (can't let good cold beer get warm!). Just glad your power is back on!

- Cajun

RedRam10 09-09-2011 10:18 PM

I have to agree with all the comments. Here we have had enough outages in the past that we have a routine when storms arrive.

Crash 09-09-2011 10:29 PM

Some good advice there GT. Glad to hear you made it through unscathed and didn't have to resort to drinking warm beer! Also very nice to hear there are still a few good guys around to take care of the lesser fortunate when the shit hits the fan. I don't know if I can rep you yet or not, but you deserve it man! Way to go

GTyankee 09-10-2011 02:37 AM

I was raised on a dairy farm in Connecticut, the cows had to be milked at daylight & again just before dark, whether we milked by machine or by hand, it had to be done.

The big problem was keeping the milk cold , until it could be picked up by the buyer
We used ice until we bought a tractor powered generator, it ran off the PTO, we only used the tractor for cooling the milk, the generator wasn't big enough to support the 3 houses on the property.
We learned to use other options, wood stove for cooking, storm lanterns for light, coal for the furnaces. People these days need internet, landline & cell phones, electronic toilets, what a bunch of whooshies, move to Frisco you .....

sonocativo 09-10-2011 06:11 AM

Yeah, some guy went "Opps" so I bet he is standing in the un-employment line come monday morning.

BlueJet 09-10-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 610211)
. People these days need internet, landline & cell phones, electronic toilets, what a bunch of whooshies, move to Frisco you .....

That's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. There are people out here that don't even have their home to come home to and all powerless people are freaking out like the sky is falling....puts things into perspective for me.

SS4Luck 09-10-2011 10:54 AM

I love how easily CA freakes out. When I lived in Orange County (Yorba Linda/Anaheim Hills for you SoCal people) there would be a light mist and people would act like we were in the middle of a freaking hurricane!!!

My fiance was home visitng and on her way to SD when it happened and said it was like a zombie appocalypse movie the way people were acting! She turned around and went right back home