DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Probably answered, but getting mixed messages. Why is passenger OS handle dripping? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=91900)

scooper77515 09-13-2011 10:46 PM

Probably answered, but getting mixed messages. Why is passenger OS handle dripping?

I have pullled out the rear upper brake light, and resealed it. I pulled out the headliner and resealed where the robots didn't seal it at the back. I used the free-flowing silicone sealant at the door seals, rear window seals, rear brake light, etc. but it still leaks at the oh-shiiste bar on the driver side (you know, the bar in front of the passenger, in front of the door. I usually call it another name that rhymes with "oh-shidst").

Am I missing something? It still pours water in when it rains hard, and it pours in at the handle, lower bolt hole, and floods the floor and passenger right leg.

Any definite fixes on this yet?

2004 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7 hemi, with quad cab.

erm 09-14-2011 03:46 PM

I don't have my 3rd Gen service manual with me but I suspect there's a door seal behind the handle that ain't doing a good job of sealing anymore.

snrusnak 09-14-2011 04:05 PM

Has to be either the roof seem above it, the windshield seal, or the door seal.

GTyankee 09-14-2011 04:16 PM

is there not some sort of drain tube inside that door post too ?

scooper77515 09-14-2011 11:26 PM

I don't know. That's why I am asking. I have siliconed everything from the front windshield all the way back to the rear glass and the upper rear brake light.

Bulletins suggested that the robot (at manufacturing) didn't properly bead silicone at the seam where the top meets the side at the back, so I pulled headliner and lo and behold, NO SILICONE! So I filled that area in.

Another Service Bulletin says to pull the rubber from the cockpit side of the door-to-cockpit barrier and put silicone in each of the plastic mounting holes. did that.

My take is it is leaking somewhere and NOBODY knows where. I have pulled back carpet while installing amplifiers and subwoofers, and the carpet and foam underneath are saturated.

almost a 10 year old truck, so pretty much a moot point, but I would like to keep it dry and drivable for another 10, if possible.

charcoal5.9ram 09-27-2011 11:23 PM

I just noticed mine leaking from the top hole on the driver side handle last week. It seems to only happen when it rains really hard or for a really long time. I haven't yet tried to find out what its from.

scooper77515 10-22-2011 06:57 PM

Sometimes leaks in above the rear sliding glass window, as well. But rarely.

I am pretty sure it is coming in though the rubber seal on the top of the cab, and squeezing in through that weld where the robot didn't seal it up good.

I may pull that rubber out and see what is under it, then silicone from there and reinstall the rubber.

Anyone know how that rubber is attached? Those two strips that are on top of the cab and at the rear of the cab by the rear windows.

Cutt 10-31-2011 07:42 AM

Scooper, I didn't see if you had a sunroof but if you do, it's most likely coming from the sunroof drain tubes. There are 4 drains, 2 in the front and 2 in the back. The front are located between the hinges, you will see a little plastic nipple and it can get clogged with debris and cause the water to back up. If you push a screwdriver into them you can get them unclogged and the water will pour out. There are also 2 more of these nipples at the back of the cab between the cab and bed. You have to reach up from below to get your hand in there and you can clear them out as well. If you are still leaking water, then the drain tubes are probably rotted away. You will have to remove the interior door moulding, seat belt mounts, visors, overhead console, pull down the headliner a bit and you will see the lines running from the sunroof. Mine had turned to dust and I had to go to Home Depot to find some replacement tubing. If there is enough of the old tube left to use as a snake, this is the easiest way to feed the new tube in place. I used some 12g a stranded electrical wire and fed it through the inside of the old tube, removed it and slid the new tube over that to put it in place. If you have any questions, let me know and I can try to get some pics up.

scooper77515 11-13-2011 12:02 PM

Nope, no sunroof. I think it is coming in at the seam at the top, where that black rubber strip is. The robot did a crappy job welding that seam and applying silicone to seal it. It was common on this year model, but I cannot seem to get it sealed up. I have taken it apart all the way to that seam and re-sealed it inside and out and cannot seem to stop the leak.

gopherdoctor 06-05-2012 10:02 PM

I am having this exact same problem? Anyone know of a solution to this problem?

When it has rained hard, the driver's side windshield column leaks water (10 drops) out of the bottom grab handle mounted on this the column.

Any solutions anybody? :thk: