DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   4th gen guys with broken transmissions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=91960)

DAYTONA81 09-14-2011 04:51 PM

4th gen guys with broken transmissions

Has anyone ever had a broken tranny on the 4th gen yet? If so did you have a tune and what did the dealership say? Did they figure out you had a tune?

CHVYKLR 09-14-2011 06:12 PM

Autobred (a bunch of bolt-ons, cammed, CMR) and MGH (twin turbo) have both broke theirs. There's also that gen III with the Maggie too.

FormerGorilla 09-14-2011 06:32 PM

Monitoring this thread.... I'd like toknow this as well. I assume a major broken powertrain component may prompt a dealer to check for a tune, but I am curious too...

BlackRamHemi 09-14-2011 06:35 PM

I think RamTex toasted one recently,

mods:
Performance Mods:180stat,Trinity/HEMIFEVER Custom Tunes,Volant Intake,DODM24,ARH's No Cats,Raceland E-Cutout,BBK 90mm,MSD Coils,NGK Iridiums,Removed Stock Clutch Fan,BT Catch CanExterior Mods:Factory Bed Liner,Retrax,R/T Grille,Debadged,Blacked Out Exhaust Tips/Ram Heads/Stock 20's on Nitto 305 55 Trailgrapplers,Black KMC Slide 24's on 305 35 Delinte Desert Storms,6000k HI/LO/FOG,Smoked Recon Projector Headlights/Third Brake Light/Tail Lights,Interior Mods: BT Custom Hemi Shifter,Recon Interior LED Kit, Cobra XRS 979

Hemi09R/T
from DT is going onto his third transmission already
and his 2nd one was even "Built" up. (no warranty)

mods:
Airaid CAI, 2/4" Drop ,Diablo Programmer (93 Octane), Flowmaster 40 Series True Duals(side exit before the wheel), Nitto 420 Tires (305,50,20), Powder Coated Black OEM Wheels, Painted Black Headlights, Street Scene Roll Pan,Airaid TB Spacer, 4:10 Gears, 2800 Stall Circle D TC, Smoked Recon Tail Lights ,Debadged, Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, Jet 180 T-stat, 1 7/8"ARHeaders w/cats, Moes Ported Throttle Body,Raceland E-Cut out, Crazy Jay Eagle cam, CMR Tuned by Secret Service

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemi09R/T (Post 4177328)
I have also killed two trans :/ and i wasnt so lucky i dynoed only like 340 or so i cant quite remember but i would never have thought i was making enough power to blow one of these trannys i know they arent very good but i figured it had 400 rwhp in it after my rebuild since i went from 4 stock clutchs in each gear to 8 alto red racing clutchs in each gear and i had a shift kit installed my 2800 stall and the sonnax all on my tranny and i blew it in 72 day... idk what to do this time around my trans mechanic says he think the CIDS (clutch volume index) need to go from the 50s to atleast the 60s to hold the tranny together but i have no idea on what else to do

My best guess is that if you Dyno over 330 WHP, your days are numbered if you "use and abuse it.

mgh 09-14-2011 07:00 PM

My dealer was willing to rebuild it for me the first time I toasted mine, but I did not what the same stock parts that could not hold the power put back in. I am working with Alto to put together a better friction pack for us. When I rebuilt my trans, they did not have a solution for the 2C frictions, so I used some Raybestos clutches, but they did not last. I now have all Alto Red Eagle single sided frictions, upgraded low/reverse sprag, TransGo shift kit, upgraded trans pump bypass valve, and a Sonnax line pressure booster.

azzo540 09-15-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHVYKLR (Post 613466)
Autobred (a bunch of bolt-ons, cammed, CMR) and MGH (twin turbo) have both broke theirs. There's also that gen III with the Maggie too.

hey get off my maggie. jk
and i don't think the maggie was the reason it had less than 200 miles on with the s/cr after the got done.
but had 6k with superchip. 5k with k/n cai, 4k exhaust, 30000 into the shop for s/c 31000 after tuning and now at 32000 for my ats tranny.

chefred112 09-15-2011 01:06 AM

...you guys are running into he same 2nd prime issues the 3rd gens have? I read alot of 4th Gens using 2nd primes while shifting..

SS4Luck 09-15-2011 01:09 AM

I wonder how much the weight of what wheels/tires are being used is playing a factor in smokin these trannys?

mgh 09-15-2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefred112 (Post 613776)
...you guys are running into he same 2nd prime issues the 3rd gens have? I read alot of 4th Gens using 2nd primes while shifting..

That has not been my problem. I think the real problem with the 45-545RFE is line pressure. If you look at the 68RFE guys, they are boosting their line pressure because they can tune their TCM like the LX guys. The more pressure we can get on these clutches, the more they will be able to hold.

chefred112 09-15-2011 09:58 AM

so you think boosting line pressure would work for me too?.. I like collecting trannys as well...lol

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...ny/photo14.jpg