DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Kills and More Kills (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   tailgaters (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=92198)

Dancianne 09-18-2011 07:18 AM

tailgaters
 
What is the best way to deal with tailgaters? I get try to obey and even exceed speed limts, but no matter what, I still seem to collect a convoy behind me.
I let no one bully my Ram, but in my classic vette I don't want damage should I have to brake unexpectedly. Of course on my Harley, I pull aside to avoid being creamed.

Ghostknife 09-18-2011 08:25 AM

Nothing, let them pass. if they wont pass then just slow down until they do.

CHVYKLR 09-18-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostknife (Post 615825)
Nothing, let them pass. if they wont pass then just slow down until they do.

10% of the time I run my washer fluid & wipers for about 10 seconds if it's a nice clean expensive car behind me. the other 90% of the time I do the same as Ghost.

Stangshcky12 09-18-2011 03:48 PM

On the Cherokees we've had we take the rear wiper off which conveniently point the washer nozzle.
In the cummins a little bit of black smoke usually backs them up.
If I'm in anything else I just keep slowing down till I feel comfortable at a speed compared to the distance they are at

2011lilred 09-18-2011 04:58 PM

Stay out of the left lane.

CHVYKLR 09-18-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011lilred (Post 616113)
Stay out of the left lane.

not saying I don't agree with you but what's your advice for 2 lane roads? or when you're not the slow car and someone is still tailgating you?

highlandchef 09-18-2011 05:43 PM

The answer is simple get out of the way; don't you know idiots have the right of way? :D

Actually it truly amazes me when someone in a compact car tailgates me. Are they trying to intimidate me into getting out of their way? I understand you might think you can if you're following my wife's Civic (and in her case it probably works) but a pickup? Heck if a Prius runs into me I might not notice but I'm sure they will.

I knew someone years ago that rigged a special switch to turn the brake lights on without activating the brakes for tailgaters. I'm not even sure if you could do that to a modern car. A good set of backup lights on a separate switch might be a disincentive. :D

erm 09-18-2011 05:46 PM

And also there are busy times on a freeway where you are in the right lane and someone decides they are just gonna hang on your rear bumper.

There's no cure-all solution. If I am in the Ram I tap the brakes...that usually slows them down and backs them up a bit. If I am in the SRT I have two choices...gradually slow down or, if there is room, haul ass outta there. I tend to do the latter rather than the former.

ORT 09-18-2011 05:51 PM

When someone rides my tailgate I just keep driving like I was driving before. I am not worried about what some clown behind me is doing. When I used to have a back bumper I would give the brakes a tap but now that there is no bumper or hitch I don't really do that anyone.

Ghostknife 09-18-2011 05:53 PM

if all else fails buy a gun! lol just kidding......maybe


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger