DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Superchips Cortex (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=92415)

Bucknasty 09-20-2011 05:41 PM

Superchips Cortex

3 Attachment(s)
I finally decided to make a purchase for my truck today since it has been awhile since I've done anything to my truck. I got the Superchips Cortex, pulled it out of the box to update it just to discover it's not supported by Mac. Fail! I'm thinking about going ahead and installing it on my truck to play around with it until I can update the software, and to help burn off the 87 in my tank until I get a couple of tans of 91 through the truck. I'm gonna upload some pictures just for a few laughs. The first is of the Cortex in the box, the second is an upgrade that I bet not many of you guys have (or ever want to have lol), and the third is to prove how fuel efficient these 5.7 Hemis really are!

Bucknasty 09-20-2011 08:31 PM

I went ahead and installed the 87 tune on my truck before I had to head to work. It put the biggest smile on my face when I got on the on ramp for the interstate! I can already tell the difference in how the transmission shifts. I never thought I'd be able to bark the Nitto Terra Grapplers going into second gear on the on ramp! I have the feeling my MPG are going to go down for awhile until I get done playing with it lol. I was wondering if anyone knows how big of a file the software update is because I can use our windows based PCs at work to update it. We have a limited amount of bandwidth we can use, so I don't want to drain it before the week is up.

ORT 09-20-2011 08:38 PM

Get the trans upgrade if you really want to get the most from the tuner.

Bucknasty 09-20-2011 09:20 PM

Does the trans upgrade have preset tunes? I'm not the most mechanically sound person, so I don't want to start playing with things too much and trash my transmission. I can usually tackle most of the wiring of electrical stuff, but when it comes to how things run I usually stay away lol

ORT 09-20-2011 09:22 PM

The trans upgrade does not have preinstalled tunes. You need to set the shift points and tm to meet your needs. If you get the upgrade and want a set of base values to start with let me know. I think I still have some stored on my computer from when I did beta testing for superchips.

RansRAM 09-20-2011 09:25 PM

Congrats on the upgrade. Got mine last week and have my first tank of 91 in her already LOL. I only have the 87 tune in right now however even that is a big improvement over the stock tune.

snrusnak 09-20-2011 09:28 PM

Not sure how big the updates are, but when I updated mine it took about 5 minutes to download...

RansRAM 09-20-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 617867)
Not sure how big the updates are, but when I updated mine it took about 5 minutes to download...

^^^^ Yup, that sounds about right. Did not take long to do the update on my computer.

Bucknasty 09-20-2011 10:26 PM

Ok that's definitely good to know! Looks like I'll be updating that tonight! Should I return it to stock before trying to get the update and installing it? Also, will it mess anything up if I have to use 4WD? Just trying to make sure I don't mess anything up since I have to go down some rough roads sometimes with my job.

RansRAM 09-20-2011 10:50 PM

I can't believe that an update will wipe out your stock file but with computers you never know. To be safe I would return your truck to the stock program before updating the Cortex. I have not tried 4WD with the tune on however can't imagine there would be any problems. Maybe just let us know. If you do have problems you can always put the stock program back on, takes only 10 mins.