DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   4TH Gen: Stock Alpine Door Speaker Specs (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=92616)

ironchef2011 09-23-2011 01:35 PM

4TH Gen: Stock Alpine Door Speaker Specs

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the detailed measurements of the stock Alpine door speakers:

Door: 6x9" speakers with a 2.0 ohm rating (2 1/2" depth)

The front speakers have a midrange only, crossover affected frequency range. No high frequencies.

The rear speakers have a full range signal.

For removal of the speakers, the door panel has to be removed. This is easily accomplished by:
  • Prying open the little circle inside of the door handle and removing the phillips head screw. Also gently pry out the plastic handle cover.
  • Then remove the plastic screws and retainers from around the door panel with a Torx 20 tool.
  • Remove the sail panel above the door panel, by the mirror. Just gently pry as it's held in by clips only.
  • Gently pull the door panel outwards and then up. Before the panel will come off, release the wiring harness from underneath the switch panel while it's still in the panel. There's no need to remove it. Finally, lift the panel over the door lock pull and set aside.

The speaker is held in place by four bolts which can be removed with a 3/16" socket.

For ease of replacement, use Crutchfield harness #12071050 on all of these speakers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207105...s.html?tp=3097

erm 09-23-2011 01:54 PM

It's stuck but I can't guarantee it will be right next to your other posts.

ironchef2011 09-23-2011 01:59 PM

No problem. Thank you!

Frank Drebin 09-25-2011 02:11 PM

Hey Ironchef, great info, thanks for posting this up!

A question for you:

How were you able to verify that there was full range frequencies sent to the rear speakers? I ask because I used a temporary LOC for my subwoofer amp, and thinking that the front door speakers were from 20hz to say 500...but the subwoofer performed poorly. When I tapped into the subwoofer feed with the LOC the aftermarket amp/sub combo performed a lot better.

This led me to conclude that the front doors are filtered from maybe 100hz to 500hz, with the subwoofer doing all the sub 100hz duties, which would lead me to believe that the rear doors would also do a filtered full range from 100hz to 20khz, but not below 100hz.

ironchef2011 10-02-2011 09:20 PM

Hey Frank,
I used a set of JL C2-650 separates and a test CD with specific frequency test signals. The rear doors are sent a different filtered frequency than the fronts. When I connected my C2-650 separates to the front, the tweeter was obsolete. It was able to reproduce frequencies up to 800hz and all the way down to 20hz. On the rear, the tweeters performed, but not to their full potential. It faded off after about 7000hz and again, down to 20hz. When I say "full frequency," I mean that it has a broader frequency range.

This would explain why people have had success with a quality set of components or coaxials in the rear doors, but not in the front.

Bear in mind, just because a speaker is able to reproduce a signal at 20hz, it doesn't mean it's not equalized. There's probably a very basic crossover on the sub 100hz frequencies with only a 6db roll off. Therefore, it'll play the signal but weakly, which would explain your sub wiring scenario.

Mophead 06-14-2012 10:30 PM

Could we get a pic of the speakers without the dust covers please? Just curious about the construction of the originals. Thanks.

Mophead 09-03-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironchef2011 (Post 626897)

This would explain why people have had success with a quality set of components or coaxials in the rear doors, but not in the front.

I was wondering about buying a 6.5" component set for the front doors and installing the tweeters in the headliner spots. Does this make any sense? Did you measure the frequencies for the headliners? I assume I wouldn't need to use the crossovers that come with the speakers since they're already there. Is this correct? I'm trying to upgrade a little at a time, I can't afford it all at once. I was thinking to do the speakers first then a processor and amps later. I already did the dash and am very happy with the results. Will probably do the back doors next, then front and headliners if I can indeed install tweeters there now. appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

gain11 12-19-2012 06:01 PM

ironchef did it look like the doors could take a deeper speaker. I know the C2-650's have approximately the same mounting depth as the stock Alpine 6x9's. Everything i'm considering is between 3-1/4" and 3-1/2" deep............did it look like there's another inch to spare in there?

wilk 09-18-2013 12:47 PM

Do you know if a pioneer 4way 6x9 with a 4" depth will fit in the front door?

Trackstand 01-11-2014 05:33 PM

So whats in doors? sounds like the fronts are 6.5 bass and midrange only and the rears are 6X9 full range? thanks