DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Rams and Rust (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=92628)

thevike93 09-23-2011 03:33 PM

Rams and Rust

Ever since I purchased my truck about 2 months ago, I tend to notice other people's Rams while driving around town. One thing I've noticed is some of the newer rams that don't have fender flares (like mine) already have rust around the fenders and wheel wells.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid this from happening? I'd purchase a set of fender flares but it's beyond my budget at the moment. My first thought was to give the truck a good wax before winter. But, wanted to check with you all first.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this topic. Thanks!

daggertats 09-23-2011 04:41 PM

definitly keep the truck waxed real good and where you live id wash it as often as i could in the winter to remove any road salts. spray the wheel wells out real good and do the undercarridge too if possible .

Rescue1 09-23-2011 11:22 PM

It is many times really tough to sit outside and wash a truck when its 20 degrees outside, but we've all done it, or at least those of us who live where it gets cold.. Anyway, here are a few shortcuts I've used:

The first thing I did and this is optional, but works really well is install a hot water spigot outside of the house. This is super easy these days with all the sharkbite and PEX fittings. Having this outside of the house really has so many other uses as well, and helps get the salt off with just a rinse.

The other product I use is called Salt away. Anyone who lives at the coasts and have a boat knows what this stuff is, if not just search it. It is safe on paint and works really well with the warm water to just rinse the body and undercarriage. You won't be outside in the freezing weather for long and it will get rid of the salt really well. Any Marin place will sell the fluid and mixer hose attachment kit...:shrk:

Rec 26 09-24-2011 11:43 AM

I don't have that issue with mine. Rust in the wheel well that is. I know just about all of the '11s have the plastic wheel well covers on them. Well the ones that I've seen over here anyway. The only rust issue I have is rust on the posts off the motor that connects to the wiper arms. The left one is covered in rust while the right one is still looking new.

OregonTRX4 09-24-2011 07:24 PM

I see you are located in MN. I left the west coast for the first time in my life and traveled to northern MN for a canoe trip. I cannot explain to you how shocked I was to see the condition of vehicles( and roads for that matter) in your state. We were often heard yelling look at that one as some truck would drive by with body panels ready to fall off. We dont salt our roads so I am sure that is the difference. I have also noticed that the paint jobs on our trucks is of very low quality.

wbowyer 09-25-2011 02:47 AM

You can also look into getting some 3m Mylar film to apply in the areas subject to the most abuse.

FireWire 09-25-2011 07:46 AM

Despite the salt they use on the roads here, the vehicles can be built to not rust as much.
I drive a 99 F350 at work.
It has a couple of areas where the paint has come off. The galvanized metal still has no rust on it.
Fords were so notorious for rusting many years ago, they had to do something about it.
Although I love my Ram, I have noticed that they seem prone to rust in my part of the world.

Blackthunder 09-25-2011 09:26 AM

Only rust I have noticed on my Ram is the muffler. There is so much surface rust on the muffler that it looks as if it were 10 years old.

thevike93 09-25-2011 12:02 PM

Thanks for all the info everyone. I once had a mechanic (here in MN) tell me that trucks from the SE corner of the states are prone to more rust than trucks from the Midwest and Canada. Mostly due to the salt/rain coming from the ocean. I'm not sure I believe that. Like Oregon said above, there are some rough looking vehicles around here. I have family in Manitoba and every time I travel up there it seems like everyone has really nice looking trucks. Maybe the Canadians have a better grip on the salt/chemicals they use on their roads.

I'm just going to wax my truck more than usual, and hope for the best.

OM48 09-25-2011 01:51 PM

Just traded in a 2003 1500 for a "11 and it hardly had any rust at all, a little inside the gas door and some seams on the bed side of the tailgate, probably rusting from the inside. It wasn't rust proofed or anything. No rust underneath either. Just kept it waxed and during the winter ran it through a good car wash nearby that has a good under body spray. A friend of mine got a 2500 around the same time and has alot more rust than mine, brake disks rusted from inside, only difference in care was the car wash I use. there ia an electrical box that runs a constant current through the metal that I think I will use on this truck.