DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   useing " Sea Foam" (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=92686)

Bobo7 09-24-2011 11:14 AM

useing " Sea Foam"

Hi again,what is your thoughts on useing the product called Sea Foam in the engine to clean the injectors and throttle body? I would appreciate any feedback if you have used this product.Thanks in advance.

sonocativo 09-24-2011 12:06 PM

I have used it in my 05 Dakota I used to have and my current 97 Ram. It works at cleaning the intake/injectors very well.... guess mine never had enough buildup to create the smoke show, but I regulary clean the system just before winter and just as summer hits. Sometimes if its acting sluggish I will clean the system as well, I will sometimes add STP fuel injector cleaner or other brands that are available and on sale. Seafoam is great, just dont kill the motor when pouring it in the brake vacumm line.

Serrilion 09-24-2011 09:17 PM

It works fine if you are looking to get a bit more pep out of the motor. I tend like above to use Lucas and STP every couple fill ups to clean her out.

Bobo7 09-24-2011 09:42 PM

Thanks for the ouick response.I will try it out shortly.Thanks for your input.

sonocativo 09-24-2011 10:45 PM

if you havent done an oil change lately, get a second can to pour in the crank case and clean the block out as well, I noticed better compression on mine after a fresh cleanout with sea foam and an oil change. Run it a few days to get all the grime broke up and then drain while its still warm/hot... I did mine right after running the highways for 2 days, really got the oil circulated and flushed.

RedRam10 09-24-2011 10:52 PM

:iagree: I haven't used it like stated in my present truck but did use it in my Diesel Beetle. It kept things running great.

Bobo7 09-25-2011 10:40 AM

Re:Sea Foam

Thats a great idea about putting sea foam in the crank case and then drain the oil. Thanks for the info.

The Codes 09-25-2011 12:26 PM

so you put a whole can in the crankcase? okay I'm about due for an oil change and was gonna put in a half can but maybe now I'll put the whole can :D

sonocativo 09-25-2011 03:00 PM

Well the can says so much in the gas, so much in the vacumm line and so much in the oil.... but thats stretching it a long way, I usually put almost 3/4 can in the gas and whats left in the vacumme line, then I put a small can in the oil ( you can buy seafoam in small and large cans but the large can isnt all that big anyway ) But for a big motor as our 360's I put a whole small can in and run a few days, If I was going to change it the same day I might put a large can in but I dont want to ruin a bearing or anything just want to clean the sludge out of the block and carbon off the pistons/valves/intake... If using a full large can I would change it the same day after running it awhile to clean it up... if using a small can you can run a few days to circulate and let it work its wonder, I wouldnt trust running a full big can in it more than a couple hours as it will thin the oil not to forget the crap that gets broke loose and floating in there ( the oil filter will catch most of the crud so it could clog as well ) after about 2 seafoam flushes the block will be pretty clean, then a regular flush with seafoam every once in awhile will keep it in tip top shape. There are other products out there that does the same thing it just depends on what you want to spend.

Years ago ( 40's, 50's, 60's ) guys used to add trans fluid to the oil as the high detergent will clean the blocks as well... I havent researched it but I have heard alot of old car guys at car shows talk of this... myself, I wouldnt, especially on newer cars as they arent made like those cast iron beasts back in the days.

The Codes 09-25-2011 03:20 PM

good info man, will def take it into account.