DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Auto Trans Shift Issues?!?!? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93017)

CaptnC 09-28-2011 03:59 PM

Auto Trans Shift Issues?!?!?
 
First post! So be nice! :smileup:

I have been a mechanic all my adult life (52yo now) so I know my way around the shop. I work for a school district so the vehicles I work on are all the same...of course none are Dodge.

Therre was not a Auto Trans choice for 2004 so my above profile lists my truck as "Manual"?!?!?!?!
I have a 2004 diesel 4X4 with 188,000+ miles and for about two years the trans seems to forget where the 1-2 shift is. After that first shift it would do fine until I turned the key off...then we would have to start over.

About one year ago it started not holding 2nd gear if you were accelerating. Once the vehicle reaches 30mph, I can stand on it and it holds 2nd and all shifts after. If I baby the take off will hold 2nd at lower speeds.

Lastly; not sure if this has any bearing on things or not (really want to know if others have this issue)....If i start the truck and my low fuel light comes on...the truck will only go 20mph. If it happens while driving, it doesn't effect anything...drives normal!

Feel free to ask questions...I know what I want to say, just don't seem to say it at times! :gy:

rdefayette 10-01-2011 06:16 PM

trans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptnC (Post 623676)
First post! So be nice! :smileup:

I have been a mechanic all my adult life (52yo now) so I know my way around the shop. I work for a school district so the vehicles I work on are all the same...of course none are Dodge.

Therre was not a Auto Trans choice for 2004 so my above profile lists my truck as "Manual"?!?!?!?!
I have a 2004 diesel 4X4 with 188,000+ miles and for about two years the trans seems to forget where the 1-2 shift is. After that first shift it would do fine until I turned the key off...then we would have to start over.

About one year ago it started not holding 2nd gear if you were accelerating. Once the vehicle reaches 30mph, I can stand on it and it holds 2nd and all shifts after. If I baby the take off will hold 2nd at lower speeds.

Lastly; not sure if this has any bearing on things or not (really want to know if others have this issue)....If i start the truck and my low fuel light comes on...the truck will only go 20mph. If it happens while driving, it doesn't effect anything...drives normal!

Feel free to ask questions...I know what I want to say, just don't seem to say it at times! :gy:

1st things 1st.
Has the trans ever been serviced.
On an '04 with an auto you have a 48re Transmission.
Factory service is recommended evry 30k miles.
Not only filter and fluid (+4 trans fluid ONLY) but adjust the bands.
One of the band adjustments is on the left front side of the case the other requires the pan to be removed.
2nd accumulator solenoid is known to take a dive on the also but 1st do a trans service, not just a filter/fluid change.

CaptnC 10-05-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdefayette (Post 626058)
1st things 1st.
Has the trans ever been serviced.
On an '04 with an auto you have a 48re Transmission.
Factory service is recommended evry 30k miles.
Not only filter and fluid (+4 trans fluid ONLY) but adjust the bands.
One of the band adjustments is on the left front side of the case the other requires the pan to be removed.
2nd accumulator solenoid is known to take a dive on the also but 1st do a trans service, not just a filter/fluid change.

Thanks

Trans service-Yes...I knew when I bought this truck I would keep it until it turned back into dust. So I have done several...

I have not adjusted the bands. If you know the procedure I would appreciate it. Or know where I could find it.

I have rebuilt many Allison 545 trans, but not any trans that had bands.

I think I'll get the "accumulator" while I have the pan down doing the bands I'll replace that.


Just need some info on doing the bands.

rdefayette 10-05-2011 09:01 AM

trans bands
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptnC (Post 628922)
Thanks

Trans service-Yes...I knew when I bought this truck I would keep it until it turned back into dust. So I have done several...

I have not adjusted the bands. If you know the procedure I would appreciate it. Or know where I could find it.

I have rebuilt many Allison 545 trans, but not any trans that had bands.

I think I'll get the "accumulator" while I have the pan down doing the bands I'll replace that.


Just need some info on doing the bands.


Here is the procedure from the Dodge Service Manual:
.
ADJUSTMENTS
ADJUSTMENT - BANDS
FRONT BAND
The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw is
located on the left side of the transmission case
above the manual valve and throttle valve levers. (just above the front trans cooler line, me)
(1) Raise vehicle.
(2) Loosen band adjusting screw locknut
Then back locknut off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting
screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw
threads if necessary.
(3) Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 Nm (72 in.
lbs.) torque with an appropriate Torx socket.
CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach the
adjusting screw, tighten the screw to only 5 Nm
(47-50 in. lbs.) torque.
(4) Back off front band adjusting screw 1-3/4
turns.
(5) Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten
locknut to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
(6) Lower vehicle.
REAR BAND
The transmission oil pan must be removed for
access to the rear band adjusting screw.
(1) Raise vehicle.
(2) Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
(3) Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns.
Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever. (lever with a jamb nut, this band usually doesn't cause any issue, me)
(4) Tighten adjusting screw to 8 Nm (72 in. lbs.)
torque
(5) Back off adjusting screw 3 turns.
(6) Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut
to 34 Nm (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
(7) Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan
on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 Nm (13 ft.
lbs.) torque.
(8) Lower vehicle and refill transmission with
Mopar
t ATF +4, Automatic Transmission fluid.

Couldn't copy the diagrams, it's not that hard and should be done as part of the TRANS SERVICE (service on a Dodge means band adjustment AND fluid and filter) every 30k miles.
Stops alot of problems before they start you'd be amazed how many people don not do this! At least now you know.
NOTE: THE TORQUE UNITS ARE INCH/LBS NOT FOOT/LBS!!!!
tHOUGHT i'D HIGHLIGHT THAT BEFORE YOU BROKE THE BAND!
Don't want your next post to be I couldn't get pat 35 ft/lb and something broke. Happens all the time , watch the posts.

CaptnC 10-06-2011 08:12 AM

Thanks!

I assume item (5) under "Rear Band" is some kind of typo?!?!?!?

I'm pulling a 5k trailer next week and really have needed to do something with the shift issues.

OMT-2nd "accumulator" is the correct name for the part? I'm going to order one today...just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again for the band adjustment info!

rdefayette 10-06-2011 09:39 AM

Front band:
(4) Back off front band adjusting screw 1-3/4
turns.
Rear band:
(5) Back off adjusting screw 3 turns.
Accumulator.? There is one in there it is the correct name if that's what you want to replace.
There is also a govenor/accumulator solenoid that is problematic and there is a GM upgrade available if you want to go that route.
Do a search for trans solenoid upgrade and you should be able to find it.
Bob

These are NOT typos the purpose of tightening down in the first place is to "center" the band on the hub. If you DON"T back them off you will have BIG problems.

CaptnC 10-06-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdefayette (Post 629731)
Front band:
(4) Back off front band adjusting screw 1-3/4
turns.
Rear band:
(5) Back off adjusting screw 3 turns.
Accumulator.? There is one in there it is the correct name if that's what you want to replace.
There is also a govenor/accumulator solenoid that is problematic and there is a GM upgrade available if you want to go that route.
Do a search for trans solenoid upgrade and you should be able to find it.
Bob

These are NOT typos the purpose of tightening down in the first place is to "center" the band on the hub. If you DON"T back them off you will have BIG problems.

My bad...reading error...I was "seeing" back off locking nut, for some reason. Glad I said something...I would have f'ed up that.

You mentioned "GM up-grade"...we are talking Dodge here right? I read that as General Motors...

But yes I want to replace the accumlator while I have the pan down. I'm sure it (if that has to do with holding the 2nd shift) a problem. 28mph and you can mat the throttle and it stays in 2nd...any kind of heavy foot below that will make it drop back into 1st.

rdefayette 10-06-2011 01:31 PM

Yes we are talking Dodge but go here http://www.dieselautopower.com/product_p/gm%20sol%20conv%2048re%20for%20dodge.htm and check out this solenoid upgrade.
Bigger "GM" solenoid kit for Dodges.
replaces the weaker Dodge solenoid.
Kidd is only one company that makes the upgrade kit there are others if you do a search. They might be cheaper just wanted to show you what it's all about.
Bob

CaptnC 10-06-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdefayette (Post 629861)
Yes we are talking Dodge but go here http://www.dieselautopower.com/produ...or%20dodge.htm and check out this solenoid upgrade.
Bigger "GM" solenoid kit for Dodges.
replaces the weaker Dodge solenoid.
Kidd is only one company that makes the upgrade kit there are others if you do a search. They might be cheaper just wanted to show you what it's all about.
Bob

Thanks Bob!

Does this replace the "accumulator" that we talked about earlier?

That is probably only a little more than the Dodge accumulator...

rdefayette 10-06-2011 08:49 PM

trans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptnC (Post 629970)
Thanks Bob!

Does this replace the "accumulator" that we talked about earlier?

That is probably only a little more than the Dodge accumulator...

No this page http://www.dieseltrans.com/dodge/BUILD-IT-YOURSELF.html has the accumulator and it's metal instaed of plastic 44.00!
This page also has the other goodies to help making the trans live without taking it out.
the 2nd gear billet kit deal gets you the good stuff except the servo.
Unfortunately trans has to dome out for the front band to be replaced it it wasn't for that life would be great.
Bob


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger