DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   02 Needing suspension help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93109)

EWC88 09-29-2011 04:34 PM

02 Needing suspension help

I have a 2002 1500 that I am looking at lifitng. I have 22" rims on it right now that help my front end go to crap. My friend is going check out the truck to see what exactly I need to replace, but basically when driving and hitting bumps you hear alot of sqeeking noises. If anyone knows what it may exactly be I need to replace please let me know and what you recommend.

I am eventually looking to lift the truck, and have a big idea on what I want it to look like. Basically I want my truck to be lifted just like this truck, minus the rims I am probably going different route on that, but otherswise I want it like this.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/333481...-1500-quad-cab

I tried finding some of the companies he used and they don't offer the stuff for a 2002, so I was wondering if other brands would give me the same look like that, that have it for the 2002? If so please let me know what brand you guys recommend!

Also if I want to get that look, he didn't mention he got a leveling kit, would a leveling kit be needed in this or does a lift and body lift take away the fact of needed a leveling kit?

EWC88 10-01-2011 08:30 PM

Anyone with any kind of idea?

carterruss 10-02-2011 08:50 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. I have been told to either go with the Rough Country 6" or the BDS 6". The RC is the cheaper on if you just wanted to get bigger tires. The BSD is the performance off road lift. Both should get you up to 35" tires. Hope this helps

EWC88 10-02-2011 09:50 PM

Well I saw on the craigslist page that I am trying to get my truck to look like he has a 7" lift and have 37" tires. Hoping for something like that, probably on 22" rims?

Would I need a leveling kit as well or will a body lift and 6 or 7" lift take care of it?

carterruss 10-11-2011 11:18 PM

I am actually going to figure out how to level the truck and upgrade the shocks, that fits the 35".

A 6" you can go up to the ~37" tire(the lift will usually give you a max tire size). The lift will take care of the leveling as far as I know, but I'd doubt check. With most lifts they will lift the front the full lift size and the rear will be -2" of the full lift size and is usually lifted with blocks but in some cases they switch out the leaf springs or have that option (gives a better ride) and that will also take care of the leveling.

EWC88 10-12-2011 03:23 PM

I actaully noticed on the cardomain guy, he has a 7" it so I was even thinknig going that high. I want to see pics of 2wd trucks with those lifts but haven't been able to find any, if you have pics please post.

My sisters bf told me that 2wd rams if you go so high of lift with body lift and big tires yourmore able to blow the engine, he said he just replaced a engine for the second time in a ram 4.7l with a 7+" lift with huge tires cause of the size. Is this true?

icywhite 10-17-2011 04:00 PM

ok dont do too many lifts but have been working on dodges for awhile and it is unlikely that a lift would blow your motor. now if your looking to do a lift like the one in the link you would with out a doubt want to look into a gear swap with the 4.7 you prob have a 3.55 open diff. you would prob. want to look into going with 4.56s posi or get crazy and go with 4.88s posi with that big of lift with the heavy tires and 3.55 the truck would be a slug

EWC88 10-18-2011 04:51 PM

What are the pros and cons of doing a gear swap?

RedneckMechanic 10-18-2011 06:28 PM

I think Fabtech makes a lift for the 3rd Gens that would work...

icywhite 10-20-2011 02:02 AM

hey not many cons esp. is your talking about doing that big of a lift you will run about 500rpm more at 70 i run about 2.4k. but it takes the 4.7 and puts the power band where it needs to be i have been runing 4.56s for about 5yrs now and love them. my truck is dropped how every but im pushing around very heavy 24s and it gets them moving with no problems.

so for me its been all pros. now im from the country and lifted trucks are a way of life i know for a fact that you will like the truck much better with a gear swap and with that said you are lucky it is a 2wd because you only have to do one axal so your looking at about 1k vs. 2-3k for a 4wd