DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   has anybody removed the front bumper ? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93194)

newdude22 09-30-2011 08:21 PM

has anybody removed the front bumper ?

hey guys, i searched for quite some time and downloaded the service manual but I can't seem to get it to open.

Has anybody removed the bumper ? A friend backed into me, i ordered a new one and was ready to swap them out. I crawled under there today and it appeared my best approach would be to remove the 6 bolts attaching the inner bumper frame to the truck frame, Switch all the guts and foglights to the new bumper and re-attach the complete bumper assembly back to the truck frame.

Is it that easy or is there a better way ?

Upstater 10-01-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newdude22 (Post 625517)
hey guys, i searched for quite some time and downloaded the service manual but I can't seem to get it to open.

Has anybody removed the bumper ? A friend backed into me, i ordered a new one and was ready to swap them out. I crawled under there today and it appeared my best approach would be to remove the 6 bolts attaching the inner bumper frame to the truck frame, Switch all the guts and foglights to the new bumper and re-attach the complete bumper assembly back to the truck frame.

Is it that easy or is there a better way ?

The bumper is fairly easy to remove; download the body lift kit instructions here and it explains removal and reinstallation.

erm 10-01-2011 06:01 PM

That's pretty much it...if you have tow hooks those have to come off too.

newdude22 10-07-2011 06:20 PM

Hey thanks for the help. I need more assistance though. Steps 7/8/9 listed how to take off the painted bumper and said that the chrome one (which i have) was different, but didnt say what to do about it. I took off the 6 main bolts attaching the bumper assembly to the Frame, and the whole thing wanted to come off but got hung up on the lip of the painted top bumper cover thing. Its pretty flexy but i didnt want to put alot of force on it for fear of cracking the paint. Do i have to remove the whole grille assembly and headlights to get off the bumper cover or is there an easier way ?

Upstater 10-07-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newdude22 (Post 630851)
Hey thanks for the help. I need more assistance though. Steps 7/8/9 listed how to take off the painted bumper and said that the chrome one (which i have) was different, but didnt say what to do about it. I took off the 6 main bolts attaching the bumper assembly to the Frame, and the whole thing wanted to come off but got hung up on the lip of the painted top bumper cover thing. Its pretty flexy but i didnt want to put alot of force on it for fear of cracking the paint. Do i have to remove the whole grille assembly and headlights to get off the bumper cover or is there an easier way ?

LOL... Welcome to Ram engineering. The plastic cover on the top of the bumper has to come off to get the bumper off, and I'm pretty sure you have to pull the grill and headlights to get that off... the only thing that remains is a hard plastic piece that the painted plastic piece covers.

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/u...812_153218.jpg

newdude22 10-07-2011 09:19 PM

I may have figured out a better way. If I take the bolts out that attach to the frame, the bumper should drop straight down thus eliminating need to take off the bumper cover. I took the nuts off and was trying to pull the bumper (and bolts) foward and it didnt have the clearence to come off. The only hang up is the top bolt. I will never be able to get it back in place during reassembly. There are 4 holes but only 3 bolts on each side. Can i move it to the free hole for easy access? If I was to hit something head on, the front end would crumple like newspaper anyway, so i can't imagine it would make a structural difference.

Upstater 10-07-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newdude22 (Post 630949)
I may have figured out a better way. If I take the bolts out that attach to the frame, the bumper should drop straight down thus eliminating need to take off the bumper cover. I took the nuts off and was trying to pull the bumper (and bolts) foward and it didnt have the clearence to come off. The only hang up is the top bolt. I will never be able to get it back in place during reassembly. There are 4 holes but only 3 bolts on each side. Can i move it to the free hole for easy access? If I was to hit something head on, the front end would crumple like newspaper anyway, so i can't imagine it would make a structural difference.

I honestly don't know if this would work or not... but it's not a big deal to remove the grill and headlights.

erm 10-07-2011 10:25 PM

^^^^ LOL..."Ram Engineering" indeed!!! ^^^^

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8 grille replacement:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/Day2Pic1.jpg

newdude22 10-11-2011 06:19 PM

I got it all done over the weekend. It went pretty well except upon re-assembly i failed to realize that the headlight and top bumper were slightly out of whack until AFTER i was done. So i got to take it all apart again and fix it a second time. Thanks again for all the help, it was well worth my time to not have to pay somebody to do it for me.

Upstater 10-11-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newdude22 (Post 633816)
I got it all done over the weekend. It went pretty well except upon re-assembly i failed to realize that the headlight and top bumper were slightly out of whack until AFTER i was done. So i got to take it all apart again and fix it a second time. Thanks again for all the help, it was well worth my time to not have to pay somebody to do it for me.

I'm glad it went well for you! :smileup: