DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Remote Start and Fan/Heat Control (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93197)

Dortmunder 09-30-2011 09:11 PM

Remote Start and Fan/Heat Control

Hey all.

I'm curious about my Remote Start and the fan controls. No matter what I have them set to, they seem to be going full blast until I put the key in and set the ignition to on.

I want to know if it's possible to customize that somehow. It's going to be winter soon and it gets pretty cold here(-15-45c most of the winter). I don't want to fire up the truck to warm up and have it go full blast defrost onto the window and likely crack it.

I've seen this happen before. The defrost heats up the window too fast and it cracks. Like dropping an ice cube into hot water etc.

Stump3r 09-30-2011 09:18 PM

With the sport and the remote start option it has a convenience setting that will turn on the heated seats, heated steering wheel and turn on the heat or air conditioning. This can be turned off in the EVIC. Read through your owners manual and it will explain how to turn this option on or off. With it off you can do it the old fashioned way of setting your heating controls prior to exiting the vehicle.

Dortmunder 09-30-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stump3r (Post 625545)
With the sport and the remote start option it has a convenience setting that will turn on the heated seats, heated steering wheel and turn on the heat or air conditioning. This can be turned off in the EVIC. Read through your owners manual and it will explain how to turn this option on or off. With it off you can do it the old fashioned way of setting your heating controls prior to exiting the vehicle.

Yeah, I noticed the seats and steering wheel heaters on a couple of days ago. Only seems to do it when it's 5c or lower, around that temp anyways.

So if I turn that off they won't come on until I manually do it? Or can I have it both ways sort of. Have the seats/wheel heaters come on, and have fan controls manually set too?

Stump3r 10-01-2011 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dortmunder (Post 625562)
Yeah, I noticed the seats and steering wheel heaters on a couple of days ago. Only seems to do it when it's 5c or lower, around that temp anyways.

So if I turn that off they won't come on until I manually do it? Or can I have it both ways sort of. Have the seats/wheel heaters come on, and have fan controls manually set too?

Not 100% sure, try it :) I just leave mine with it turned on. I'd imagine if you set the heater controls manually it would just run with what you have set unless the computer over rides everything? Give it a shot and see what it does. I might have to go play with mine just to see what it will do.

brad12kx 10-01-2011 03:26 AM

The 'Remote Start Comfort System' (Enabled/Disabled in the EVIC under 'System Setup') will -
In cold weather - Turn on the driver heated seat and heated steering wheel for the duration of the remote start cycle
In hot weather - Turn on the driver ventilated seat for the duration of the remote start cycle

If you have your heater/AC controls in the 'auto' position, during the remote start cycle, it will attempt to achieve the temperature setting you have selected. In the cold, it will set the fan high and on defrost in an attempt to have the windows clear for you. As the vehicle is likely cold when this feature is used, it's blowing cold air to start, and slowly warming as the engine temp increases. This will not cause any windshield issues, as the beginning temp is the same temp as the windshield anyway. Actually, it's a lot less likely to cause an issue then warming the vehicle, then cranking on the defrost after the engine temp in up. :4-dontknow: