DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   mpg (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93277)

united316 10-01-2011 11:27 PM

mpg

I know there a lot of posts about mpg, but I am so happy with my ram on its first road trip without trailer. Evic is showing 20 mpg when doing 75-80 (hey I have to keep up with traffic) I will hand calc tomorrow when I do the second leg of the trip

snrusnak 10-01-2011 11:59 PM

that's roughly what I get ^

Can't beat that with a full size truck with a back seat :)

Drake371 10-02-2011 12:02 AM

on my most recent leg back... 1900 miles and 34 gallon tank I gotten 19.5 mpg on my best tank of the 3

united316 10-05-2011 10:18 PM

well I just got back tonight will do the all the math in the morning I am beat 11 hrs on road with wife and 3 kids is a killer..

genesis5521 10-07-2011 09:50 PM

Got 17.97 MPG

Purchased a brand new Ram 1500 Tradesman, with a 5.7 Hemi, on 9/15/11. Dealer had filled the gas tank. Went through this first tank and didn't pay any attention to MPG.

9/25/11 was "my" first fill up. I was pretty meticulous. After filling up with 89 octane at the gas station, when I got home, I started adding more gas to bring it right up to the brim. This takes over an hour as I had to add a little a time and let the gas tank equalize the pressure. Checked it the next morning to make sure it hadn't gone done any.

10/7/11 Filled up at the gas station (this time with premium, 93 octane), and added more gas when I got home to bring it right up the the brim again, which took over an hour again. I was extremely meticulous again and measured right down to the ounce.

My truck doesn't have that gizzmo that indicates MPG, so I had to calculate it by hand.

Total miles on the truck = 1250
Total miles driven this tank of gas = 619
Total gas used = 34.44 gallons
MPG = 17.97

All my driving is highway, with some gently rolling hills. I set the cruise control at 55 MPH. "ECO" light is "ON" 95% of the time.

Curious to see what MPG will be on Premium gas (no ethanol).

I hope that over time I get up to that 20 MPG figure that Ram throws out for the 5.7 Hemi.

Don

FormerGorilla 10-07-2011 10:10 PM

Genesis, I'm no tech but I'm quite sure you're not supposed to fill your tank to the brim, as you describe. I have heard it can be detrimental to the fuel pressure system. I think all fuel injected vehicles fall under that warning. (I may research that actually.)

nthompson 10-07-2011 10:14 PM

If you go past the "clicking" sound and top off your tank, you are just pumping gas above the point of the charcoal canister valves that recirculate the EGR and fuel vapors. When it clicks - stop and save yourself the $100+ diag charge for the non-warrantable check engine light and the added expense of the parts you just saturated with fuel.

nthompson 10-07-2011 10:14 PM

PS - I am averaging between 15.1 and 15.9 in town/freeway through 1800 miles with the a/c always cranked on my crew cab hemi.

snrusnak 10-07-2011 10:16 PM

yeah it's not a good idea to "top it off".....stop filling when it clicks.

genesis5521 10-07-2011 10:23 PM

nthompson said:
If you go past the "clicking" sound and top off your tank, you are just pumping gas above the point of the charcoal canister valves that recirculate the EGR and fuel vapors. When it clicks - stop and save yourself the $100+ diag charge for the non-warrantable check engine light and the added expense of the parts you just saturated with fuel.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

Yikes !!!!!!!!!!!
Ya mean I dun sumpin stupid already?
It usually takes me a little longer to screw something up. I must be getting better at it.

Seriously, will the two times I did this hurt anything?
I'll go out right now and siphon some gas out if that would help.

What are your thoughts guys?

Don (Genesis)