DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Power Control Module (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93395)

RAMitDOWN 10-03-2011 03:34 PM

Power Control Module

Had my Ram die on the way home from work last week, coasted to the side of the road put it in park and it started right back up.
After restarting it the CEL came on so I took it to the dealer and was told it needs a new PCM.

Just checked back with them today and was told it (PCM) is on back order and looks as though there are 15 (+/-) ordered nation wide.

How long does usually take for back ordered items ?
Anyone else heard of a problem with these in 09's ?

DBryant 10-03-2011 04:44 PM

Had mine replaced on my 2010 about a year ago. Only took a couple days to get it. Of course they didn't say anything about back orders. Hope you get it soon.

RAMitDOWN 01-03-2012 10:55 AM

Had a second Power Train Control Module replaced last month (Dec 9/ 2011).

Now this morning on the way home from work the same deal truck died going down the road at around 55 MPH.
I pulled over restarted and the check engine light is on again I'm guessing it's the PCM each time the same thing.
If I'm correct this will be the third replacement what really gets under my skin about this is that it is cutting into my time bow hunting (again) and we only have a couple weeks left before the season ends.

I put a hole 650 miles on the truck since the last PCM replacement. :4-dontknow:

brad12kx 01-03-2012 12:14 PM

Sounds like your dealer is going to have to find out why this is happening. IMO you shouldn't be having multiple PCM failures. If it was that big of a failure issue, I'm sure this forum would be littered with posts like yours, so there must be something else that is the underlying cause of this. The last thing you need is to have this issue when the warranty is run out. The PCM is not a cheap part. :str:

RAMitDOWN 01-03-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad12kx (Post 686590)
Sounds like your dealer is going to have to find out why this is happening. IMO you shouldn't be having multiple PCM failures. If it was that big of a failure issue, I'm sure this forum would be littered with posts like yours, so there must be something else that is the underlying cause of this. The last thing you need is to have this issue when the warranty is run out. The PCM is not a cheap part. :str:

My thoughts exactly.
Last time they replaced it I brought this up I'm not a mechanic but it seems to me if it keeps happening something else is causing it.
The service guy at the dealer claimed they must have just had a run of bad PCM's because they had 2k - 3k on back order both times.
Sounded like a line of BS to me.
The factory warranty is over (36417) but this falls under the lifetime "drivetrain" warranty they had for 2009's is what I was told.

Studbuster 01-03-2012 10:36 PM

I hope that it falls into the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, and they are not just covering it because it is an on going problem and it is so close to warranty. I never have seen a detailed list of what it covers.
Hope you get a "good" one this time.

RAMitDOWN 01-06-2012 01:24 PM

Just returned from the dealer
No new PCM this time but they did have to give it a flash update for P0524 Oil Pressure Rationality (TSB 18-19-09).

Hopefully I wont need another trip to the dealer any time soon.

RAMitDOWN 05-09-2012 01:24 PM

Thought I would update this.

After the last trip to the dealer (01/12) for a computer flash my truck was still randomly shutting down while I was driving down the road at highway speeds.
Since the last flash the CEL never comes on though.

It usually looses power all the warning lights come on and the gauges drop then after about 5 seconds everything comes back up/on and I continue down the road, no CEL light.
Other times it shuts down completely and I have to pull over and restart it, still no CEL.
Seems as thought the last computer flash was to just keep the CEL from coming on ? lol :4-dontknow:

I have been just ignoring it because it wasn't happening frequently but today was the last straw it's retuning to the dealer Friday.
I'm sure the result will be the same, another computer flash and it will continue to shut down on me at some point and time.
Sometimes it takes a week before happening other times just a few days once in a while I get lucky and it will last a month before shutting down.

sorry for the rant. :doh:

Hemi390 05-09-2012 04:57 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles keep posting the results :doh:

brad12kx 05-10-2012 03:07 AM

You sure don't have to apologize for the rant. Under the circumstances, I'd say your in your right to be upset and ranting.

When you take it in, maybe suggest they check the TIPM....specifically the connectors on the bottom of it. When a truck has intermittent issues, I often go through the motion of removing and reattaching these connectors to cycle the contacts. Since the TIPM supplies ALL the power to ALL the systems, a poor connection on one of it's connectors could cause PCM issues. It doesn't cost anything to do this and only takes about 15 minutes. :4-dontknow:

Keep us posted. :)