DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   HELP...Slid down the defrost vent! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93399)

RedDodge 10-03-2011 02:52 PM

HELP...Slid down the defrost vent!

Hopefully some one can help me...I had a decorative chain sitting on my dash and it slid down into the right side defrost vent. I could see it at first but then while trying to get it out I pushed it in deeper.

So the question is......what's my best plan of attack to get it out! Where does that vent go? I took the glove box out but really can't see to much that far forward.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve

RedDodge 10-03-2011 02:58 PM

HELP...Slid down the defrost vent!!!

Hopefully some one can help me...I had a decorative chain sitting on my dash and it slid down into the right side defrost vent. I could see it at first but then while trying to get it out I pushed it in deeper.

So the question is......what's my best plan of attack to get it out! Where does that vent go? I took the glove box out but really can't see to much that far forward.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve

sonocativo 10-03-2011 03:07 PM

Try a strong vacumm with the smallest attachment on it to get as far in as you can, use a nylon ( womens stocking ) as a filter in between one of the joints so it doesnt go into the actual vac/bag. I dont know how deep your vent is but its usually anywhere from 1-1/2" to 4" deep, they are plastic pockets with a flexible hose attached from the fan housing most likely adeflector box that controls the airflow. If you hear something that sounds like a fork in the garbage disposer...youll know where it went...lol

J/K... Hope you get it out. Another way to see if you can see it is using one of those little inspection mirrors so you can angle it to see down the vent. Only other way would be to pull the dash apart to access the vents.

snrusnak 10-03-2011 03:50 PM

I agree try the vacuum trick (do what he said to keep it from actually being sucked into the vacuum....). You have to "seal" it though, you can use tape or something to take the vacuum hose around the vent to seal it....that MIGHT work, but probably not honestly as a chain is probably heavy. I'd try like he said a little mirror for sight....and maybe one of those magnetic extendable wands...

Crash 10-03-2011 03:53 PM

A small pick up magnet maybe? your local auto store or walmart may have a pickup tool that has three claws and is flexible. you depress the plunger on one end and three claws come out the other when you release plunger they retract and grab small items, its about 24" long. You might try "fishing" with a tool such as this. it was like $3-4 at my local tool store

RedDodge 10-03-2011 04:23 PM

Thanks guys...called the dealer...10 hours of labor and $1,100 to pull a $2 chain out of the vent....lol..... I did the inspection mirror with a piece of wire and was able to fish it out!!!!!!

I was just afraid that I'd have to listen to it jingle around in there forever......

Crash 10-03-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDodge (Post 627543)
Thanks guys...called the dealer...10 hours of labor and $1,100 to pull a $2 chain out of the vent....lol..... I did the inspection mirror with a piece of wire and was able to fish it out!!!!!!

I was just afraid that I'd have to listen to it jingle around in there forever......

So that means you now have $1100 for mods!!!! lucky you, what are you going to get :LOL:Glad it worked out for you bud

moparornocar72 10-03-2011 09:19 PM

Best advice I have for you is take the glove box back out and shine a light down from the top of that vent, see where the light shines into and then proceed from there. If you need any diagrams let me know

erm 10-03-2011 09:24 PM

And when you do that ^^^^ have one of those magnetized pickup tools that extends.

The other option is to remove the defroster vent panel (it should just pop off) for a better look and maybe you can reach it from the top.

Razorback 10-08-2011 11:51 AM

Should be able to find one of these at just about any auto parts store

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch...ool-94162.html