DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Question on gas (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93503)

genesis5521 10-04-2011 08:14 PM

Question on gas

On 9/15/11 I purchased a brand new 2011 Ram 1500 Tradesman, with a 5.7 Hemi. Filled up only once so far. Used 89 octane with ethanol. My manual say 87 octane is acceptable, 89 octane is preferred. All the gas stations close to me have ethanol in their 87 & 89 octane gas. But on my way to work, there are a few stations that have 87 octane with out the ethanol.

So, why is 89 octane preferred over 87 anyway? And if I used 87 with out the ethanol, would I notice any difference (less MPG, etc.)?

Thanks for your thoughts guys,

Don <><

JasonK94Z 10-04-2011 08:54 PM

I dont think it makes any difference. If so, it would sure be hard to tell. 87 with ethanol in my tank every time. No problems here at all.

garner 10-05-2011 02:30 AM

89 octane allows the computer to not have to pull as much timing to avoid pinging. In some cases though even with 89 the computer will pull timing so you have to go 93

GTyankee 10-05-2011 02:48 AM

if you live in flat land country
87 octane will work good for you
if you have low RPM pinging, it is ok
if you have higher RPM pinging, you need to jump up to 89 octane

as far as ethanol is concerned, if you put in more than 10% ethanol, your warranty won't cover your Ram engine

genesis5521 10-05-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garner (Post 628846)
89 octane allows the computer to not have to pull as much timing to avoid pinging. In some cases though even with 89 the computer will pull timing so you have to go 93

Would it hurt anything if I used 93 octane all the time, and would there be any benefit? Or would I just be wasting my money? Usually, the 93 octane around here does not contain any ethanol.

Don <><

bowieknife 10-05-2011 10:46 AM

I've actually been experimenting with 89 NON-ethanol gas to see if there was any MPG difference. There is not. I'd say the truck runs a little better and has a little more pep out of the gate, but not to justify the $4.19 price they want around me. 89 with 10% ethanol is the cheapest, best way to do it. IMO

SeattlePete 10-05-2011 11:01 AM

Ethanol has a lower BTU content than gas, so (at least on paper) 87 non blend could perform better than 89 with ethanol. As an example, the new 4.7 Ram get 13/18 mpg on gas, 9/13 on E85!

Running 93 all the time won't hurt anything but your wallet!

snrusnak 10-05-2011 11:12 AM

All the previous posts seem dead on....they recommend 89 octane because of the amount of compression and timing advance in the engine....87 will not hurt the engine, but if the knock sensor sees pinging/detonation it will retard timing and you will lose some mpg/performance. Some people say they get much better mpg/performance with the higher octane and some say they don't notice a difference, you'll have to experiment. Some say they even see better results with 91/93 octane as well, but I think that's usually not the case. Running a higher octane than required will never cause damage, but will cost more. You should run the lowest octane you can without causing pinging and loss in performance/mpg (to get the most for your money). I would definitely recommend ethanol free gas, you WILL get better mpg and peformance with it, like he said above ethanol has less energy per volume than pure gasoline.

SeattlePete 10-05-2011 12:41 PM

From all my years playing with unnaturally aspirated engines, I've learned that not only does the octane rating stated on the pump differ, but what brand of station. I've had great performance with Arco, and absolutely crappy with Texaco and Shell.

The reality is that 87 will suffice for the vast majority of drivers.

snrusnak 10-05-2011 01:03 PM

^that's true, just because it says "87", doesn't mean you get 87....also, just because it says "up to 10% ethanol", doesn't mean it's not more than 10% ethanol...Some stations around me have been busted for purposely not providing what they advertise, others fined for doing it on accident.