DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   New Torque Converter on the way (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93977)

firetruck 10-10-2011 07:45 PM

New Torque Converter on the way

I guess you have to complain to them first, because they know about the problem and hope you want notice. most of the 2011 trucks have this problem and are sitting on lots. I guess a formal recall would hurt sales.

I made it clear that this trans problem and me, would never be bed fellows.

gjayf77 10-10-2011 09:30 PM

Hello firetruck i took my truck in for this problem and they said that it is a normal sound and that replacing the torque converter would not change anything.. I know the sound is not normal so i told them to keep the truck and they said there service manager is going to look into it. what a pain in the a** this is getting to be.. you got any advice on what i should say if they refuse to replace it?

thanks again

let us know if the sound is still present after the torque converter swap! it would be very helpful information

doug713 10-10-2011 09:34 PM

I think we need to just sit and wait till there is actually a TSB on it, as my service manager pretty much told me to wait for that. They know there's an issue but I'm guessing Chrysler has their hand tied. Just wish they would hurry up because it gets kind of embarrassing that a 40k+ truck makes such a noise..

gjayf77 10-10-2011 09:39 PM

so you think they will actually ever have a TSB for this issue? I hope so for my sake but that is one very expensive thing to replace. my truck has been sitting at the dealership since last thursday and i'm starting to get antsy..

firetruck 10-10-2011 09:40 PM

somewhere on forum they mention the the updated torque converter #.
I gave that to the service manager, they call dodge and new converter is on the way. Also print off some of the post, where guys have had them replaced.

I will let you know the results. some guys on forum stated that it fixed the problem.

doug713 10-10-2011 09:50 PM

Yeah, I printed off the "star case" info and took it them and he said he had to wait for the TSB, he thought it would be coming soon as they are aware, but hell who knows? I hope so, otherwise I will just keep bugging them till they make it right. I have taken the truck to them about 5 times regarding this, once they did the k36 recall on the axel, hoping that would fix it, then it was the TSB on the shifting issue and they again hoped that would fix it, but it still has the same shuddering vibration that sounds like the frisbee skipping along the concrete as someone said, and I had pointed it out at around 200 miles and its still there after 27,000 miles.... good grief..

Razorbass 10-10-2011 10:58 PM

I started a poll to determine how rampant this problem is among forum members. If you have time, stop by and cast you vote. Thanks.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93998

Rammin88 10-11-2011 01:58 PM

I had the same grinding noise. Got the TC replaced and it does NOT make the noise anymore. And better yet, the drivetrain is 100% smoother. You can barely feel it shift. I posted a picture of the document for the star case that my tech gave me. It's under "That grinding noise update". You'll see a link to photobucket.com for the picture of the document. Print it out and show it to your dealer. The noise you are hearing is not normal and don't let your dealer tell you that. If they tell you to wait for a TSB tell them no and say it with some seriousness. I went into my dealer and said I want it fixed. And they did it with no problem....suprisingly. Just remember, they are there to make you happy. You are their boss. If the service manager won't help you, ask to speak to his boss. I just hate when people get walked on by dealers. I don't let that happen to me.

hemibenny 10-11-2011 06:26 PM

It all depends on the dealer. The service manager at my dealership agreed that it was not a normal noise and once he saw the copy of the star case he said let's get the new TC ordered and put in.
All of those who are having trouble getting the dealers to believe that the TC is the problem should give the dealers name and website to all of us that have had the problem fixed by replacing the TC. We could flood the offending dealers service department with e-mails or even phone calls confirming that the TC replacement worked as well as giving the name of our dealers that performed the work. This noise IS NOT NORMAL and will not go away with anykind of break in period, that is rediculous. They should have more pride in the product that they sell and more respect for the customers that pay their salaries.
The squeeky wheel gets the grease.