DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   aggravating weak idle (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94036)

hicksrt 10-11-2011 11:08 AM

aggravating weak idle

What in the hell is up with my 2011Ram and the annoying idling? When I come to a red light or a stop sign, the friggin idle drops below 500 and I can feel it surging, and then it shoots back up to 750. Anyone else ever noticed that awkward feeling? There is no hesitation on start up or take off, but that damned . It's enough for the ol lady to take notice, and asks, "What was that" :mad3:

M.Scipione 10-11-2011 11:33 AM

yeah I get that too.

Really annoying.

I imagine 99% of all the annoying things on our trucks can be traced to the computers effort at improving gas mileage.

I would happily sacrifice some fuel efficiency to get rid of the weird idle, laggy throttle and bizarre shifting.

The MOST annoying thing to me is when my truck decided it will go ahead and shift into 5th gear when I am only traveling 40 MPH.

I really miss my manual transmission Dakota.......

hicksrt 10-11-2011 12:16 PM

I couldn't agree more Scipione, but once the Diablo Sport Predator is released for the 2011 HEMI, I have a feeling all the wierd idling will be a thing of the past. I'm hoping anyway.....

SS4Luck 10-11-2011 07:12 PM

I always thought that mine did it cuz im running an open Ipipe.... im glad Im not alone on this issue then! lol

Longhorn2011 10-11-2011 07:40 PM

Both of mine do the same thing. Irritates the hell out of me.

cudase 10-11-2011 08:36 PM

Guys, check your transmission fluid level. Even being 1 quart low ill cause these symptoms. It is dropping so low when you come to a stop because the torque converter is not fully disengaging. My truck was stalling and it was found that it was 3 quarts low(it was actually 4 quarts). We added 3 quarts and everything looked good, stalling issue was gone, but the idle would still drop when coming to a stop. Rechecked it again and it needed 1 more quart. Problem solved.

hicksrt 10-12-2011 07:00 AM

Thanks Cudase, will do. Hopefully this will be the culprit and not some other issue.

SS4Luck 10-12-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cudase (Post 633955)
Guys, check your transmission fluid level. Even being 1 quart low ill cause these symptoms. It is dropping so low when you come to a stop because the torque converter is not fully disengaging. My truck was stalling and it was found that it was 3 quarts low(it was actually 4 quarts). We added 3 quarts and everything looked good, stalling issue was gone, but the idle would still drop when coming to a stop. Rechecked it again and it needed 1 more quart. Problem solved.

Unfortunately that isnt the case with mine. I had the same problem with my older corvette and was one of the first things I checked when i notived it on my Ram... This truck really pisses me off sometimes

JasonK94Z 10-12-2011 10:10 AM

I was just about to make a post about this. One thing I have noticed about these Rams is the programming sucks! When taking it easy on the throttle, the truck is too eager to upshift through all the gears and bog the truck down. The drivability sucks!
The shift events take too long too. Kinda like this web site taking so long to load a new page. Always a lag.

hicksrt 10-12-2011 08:45 PM

Well, checked the transmission level, everything is spot on. So, onto more research in determining what is causing the sluggish surging idle. I really hope Diablo sport puts out the tuner for the 2011 HEMIs soon....