DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   noob question on acceleration (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94055)

dracowing14 10-11-2011 04:49 PM

noob question on acceleration

ya this is probably going to sound very vague and open ended but I've always wondered, hwo can i get better acceleration out of my 2011 5.7 hemi. as it stands it is bone stock right now I'm threw in a drop in K&N filter, but besides that there is nothing else performance wise on the truck i couldn't care less about over all speed or horse power. I'm just interested in the take off acceleration. the truck is still new so i'm hoping i could do a few thigns that wouldn't void the warrenty. but i'll throw the question out anyways.

snrusnak 10-11-2011 04:52 PM

The biggest two bangs/for the buck for the "feel" of acceleration would be a torque converter and higher numerical gearing, both fairly expensive and labor intensive. Next best choices would be exhaust and a more complete intake.....smaller/lighter wheels and tires...

TheSatinPumpkin 10-11-2011 05:19 PM

x2... If you want that out of hole experience without a programmer then 4.56 or 4.88 (extreme) w/ higher stall TC and smaller 17" rims. Add in some soft compound tires and you should feel some peppiness.

EDIT: Just saw the "Warranty" word.

dracowing14 10-11-2011 05:57 PM

I'm not looking to win any races but for the size of the engine i would like a little more get up and go. i'll ahve to re-check my trucks specs. i currently have the factory 20 in. and i thought my truck and the 4.77 rear diff. however when i check dodges site i doesn't list any such diff. i know have the biggest one available though.

Bordin 10-11-2011 06:15 PM

Bored out Throttle Body definitely adds some pep, if anything just happens pop off your aftermarket one and shove the stock one back on.
The dealer wouldn't even know the difference!!

I got a full catback, AirRaid Intake, Fastman TB you can definitely tell the difference from stock. But for the warranty part, I saved all my stock parts for an easy swap out

TheSatinPumpkin 10-11-2011 06:19 PM

highest (lowest) gear ratio for 1500 from factory is 4.10's and thats on R/T trims. Truck most likely has 3.21's, 3.55's or 3.92's. You can find this info from your build sheet or maybe your glove box, or stamped on your rear axle.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dracowing14 (Post 633836)
I'm not looking to win any races but for the size of the engine i would like a little more get up and go. i'll ahve to re-check my trucks specs. i currently have the factory 20 in. and i thought my truck and the 4.77 rear diff. however when i check dodges site i doesn't list any such diff. i know have the biggest one available though.

snrusnak 10-11-2011 11:10 PM

^yep and majority of the trucks are 3.55, then almost all the rest are 3.92, and few are 3.21

moparornocar72 10-11-2011 11:35 PM

diablosport also will help out in the acceleration department. I know it made mine feel more peppy. anything happens reset to factory tune and take it in

snrusnak 10-11-2011 11:41 PM

^no tuner out for 2011 yet

chefred112 10-14-2011 07:47 PM

gears, tq vertor, headers, y-pipe, tuner, efan, ud pulley, catbak exhaust, real cai (not dropin).... take you pick of these mods, altogether would show considerable gains..