DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   spray in bed liner question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94123)

hurley1999 10-12-2011 02:02 PM

spray in bed liner question

So I going to pull out me bed liner and do a spray in liner. Does anyone have experiance with herculiner? what are recommendations? Line-x or rhino-liner. I like the idea begone herculiner only because its a diy thing but havnt heard how it holds up and wears

turborich 10-12-2011 02:28 PM

It really depends on who is doing the spray. You can make any of the brands look good if you take your time.

I prefer the Line-x brand myself as it has a drier less rubbery feel to it. After 5 or so years exposed to the elements you might need to have it re sprayed with a light touch up coat as the sun can cause it to become grayish in color.

We sell both the spray in's and drop in plastic bedliners at work. I would suggest the spray in 100%.

hurley1999 10-12-2011 02:58 PM

Cool. I have the drop in now and i want a lined bed. I have read the reviews on herculiner and they are good. For the price, i would like to do the herculiner but am willing to pay Tue extra money for rhino liner if the herculiner is garbage. I don't use the bed often so I dont need industrial grade 1/2" coating. Just something better than the drop in liner to protect the bed. Thanks for the info so far

Stangshcky12 10-12-2011 03:31 PM

Herculiner<Rhino Liner< Line X
If you make sure you do the prep really well then the herculiner will hold up well enough for you I think

GTyankee 10-12-2011 04:34 PM

If you use the DIY stuff, remember the PREP work is the main part of the process

I have watched Line-X do several spray in liners
it takes a while to tape & drape (protect the truck)
then 2 guys power sand the bed to scuff the paint, remove the tailgate & prep it
wipe everything down & tape off all the holes & plug the drain holes
then they start the spraying process
that takes a relatively short time, & by the time the tailgate is being sprayed, the 2nd person is taking off the tape & drape,
By then 5 minutes have gone by & they could remove the plugs, but they usually find something to do for a bit longer.
Then they pull the plugs & remove any taped hole that should stay exposed, then they put the tailgate access panel back on & then put the tailgate back on the vehicle
Last step is to check the work
Sometimes the customer brings a discount coupon, either from the local coupon book or from a special referral coupon
You also get a lifetime warranty, if someone slides a loaded wooden pallet into the bed & messes up the spray in liner, they re-shoot it

I would rather pay them $400, than buy everything needed to do the job myself
Tape, masking paper, sanding discs, cleaning solution, lint free cloths, etc.

hurley1999 10-12-2011 09:10 PM

Thanks for the advice. I like the herculiner only because i really enjoy working on/tinkering with my vehicles. I would rather do it myself just to say i have done it. I like the warranty you get with line-x and rhino. I know i want something better than my bed liner.

turborich 10-13-2011 01:36 AM

You will be upset if you don't get it professionally sprayed. The DIY stuff is junk. The Line-x uses a high pressure spray system and it looks excellent when done. The DIY stuff looks like crap compared to it and merely puts on a layer the thickness of paint and it will scrape off.

dodgert 10-13-2011 02:11 AM

Get a bed rug they are awsome and take a hell of beating