DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Possible purchasing a Dodge Ram....Suggestions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94273)

nmhs 10-14-2011 01:45 PM

Possible purchasing a Dodge Ram....Suggestions

Hello Everyone,
First time poster here and possible first time Dodge Owner. I'm in the market for a 1/2 or 3/4 pickup and it seems there are alot of options with Dodge and I'll be honest I don't know a lot about them. I've owned Ford and Chevy and Ford is to high priced and I'm not much of a Chevy Fan. I have some friends that own a Dodge and they like them. I'm after a 1/2 to 3/4 crew cab 4x4 truck with a gas motor. I haul small loads from time to time and maybe a tow behind camper once in awhile. Whats your recommendation? How is the fuel economy with a Hemi in a 4 door?
Thanks

Murph0408 10-14-2011 01:49 PM

i have the crew cab w/ the hemi. i do about 70%/30% city/highway driving and get 15mpg. i've seen it get 18-20 on the highway on long trips. i don't tow but i can tell you these are massive trucks and can haul. if you aren't carrying loads all the time and have price in mind i think the 1500 ram is your pick. take a look at the 11's i'm sure you can get some serious deals on them since the 12's are out

only issue is i have zero experience with towing so i don't know how well the 1500 will tow your camper obviously it depends on the size of it. compared to the other trucks you mentioned i test drove the big 3 (ford dodge chev) and this was not a close decision. the dodge is the biggest/baddest of the three and had the most kick to it IMHO

also you'll be very impressed with the rear seat space in the crew cab, that is what really sold me on it instead of getting the quad which also has 4 doors but is smaller inside

GTyankee 10-14-2011 03:15 PM

The Ram will sell itself as far as looks & comfort
Get the HEMI engine and 3.92 ratio gears with LSD (not the drug), or if you off road a lot, you can think about the 4.11 ratio

If your camper fully loaded weighs Over 6,000 pounds, you have 4 or more people riding in the truck, ice, food, refreshments & live in hilly country, you should think hard about getting the 2500 series with leaf springs
the 1500 is a car with an oversized open trunk with coil springs

If you spend much time driving, get a radio with hands free phone calling, satellite radio, navigation if you travel a lot, back up camera on screen
they will try to sell you a RES radio that is CAPABLE of these things, but all the things that make it work are missing. Make a properly working radio (media center) a condition of the sale. If you have a Smart Phone, that takes a proper cable in the upper glove compartment
( i personally would get the 430N or the 730N radio with all the modules included ), i spend a lot of time in my Ram

herc 10-14-2011 06:38 PM

As far as fuel economy goes, it's completely dependent on how you drive. Just this past weekend, I did a little experiment. I drove 300 mile from southern WI to the north woods. Since I wasn't in any hurry whatsoever, I tried to get the best MPG possible, driving about 60ish, no cruise, and pretty constantly watching the evic instantaneous MPG display. The trip is fairly flat for much of the way, and I had a little bit of a tailwind for much of it, but at the end of the 300 miles, my average was 23.5, and a topoff check confirmed it.

Most of us here can't normally keep our foot off of the fun pedal, but it CAN be done.

Razorbass 10-14-2011 11:00 PM

Brand loyalty does not mean much these days. Test drive all of them as many times as you need to. It costs you nothing but time and every dealer is happy to give you their time to try and make a sale. Make you decision based on what you feel.

I never even considered a Ram (never even took one for a test drive) until the 4th Gen came out. Two or three test drives later, I converted. Have not looked back since then. Will I buy again next time, we will see at that time. But for now, I am overtly impressed by the Ram (and my last truck was a Chevy I owned for more than eight years).

GreatTiger 10-14-2011 11:52 PM

SLT 4x4 with the console and the hemi. nuff said.

stangallmotor 10-15-2011 02:22 AM

If I could do it all over again I wouldnt buy a R/T. It kinda sucks having only two seats. My dream truck is a black QC sport with a 2/4 drop and 22 inch black SRT-10 wheels. I would kill to have that!