DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Tires cupping (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94297)

DBryant 10-14-2011 09:47 PM

Tires cupping

The front tires on my 2010 Hemi Ram are cupping on the outside of each tire. Could this be caused by the tie rods? Are any 2010's included in the tie rod recall? They are cupped enough I can actually hear them as I drive down the road. Any other 2010's have this problem?

Jsty093083 10-14-2011 10:34 PM

I picked up my 2010 big horn a few weeks ago and submitted a build request to dodge. after all the info of what it came with, there was a Recall section. This is what was listed.

K17 REPROGRAM HVAC CONTROL HEAD & INSP./REPL. ACTUATOR WARRANTY
09/17/2010 INCOMPLETE

K23 MOPAR FRONT BUMPER CORROSION WARRANTY 10/25/2010 INCOMPLETE

L04 OUTER TIE ROD ENDS WARRANTY 08/15/2011 INCOMPLETE

So I guess im off to the dealer when I get home from working out of state to get some stuff done.

Link for the request to see if yours had the recalls: http://www.dodge.com/wccsapp/universal/D/index.jsp?appStr=wccs&titleStr=Contact+Dodge&famil yStr=brand&franchise=D&actionURL=%2Fwccs%2Fbrand_f orms%2Fus%2Fwebform.jsp&promotion=null&category=U

Just type in Requesting build date in the briefly describe section. Should hear back from them in like 24-48 hours.

Stainless 10-14-2011 10:39 PM

The 2010's are included in the recall, however you need an alignment to take care of your issue, the recall only covers a toe adjustment.

BobzRam 10-14-2011 10:47 PM

I know that my 10 is on recall for tie rods, but I havent had any issues yet. Cupping is usually from out of balance tires, bent suspension parts or really worn shocks. Do you go 4 wheeling with your truck? Have you hit anything, big pothole? Do you have a lift kit installed? Hows your tire pressure? I cant see you needing shocks (struts) already. You said its only on outsides, most times that would be a camber adjustment, but only if wear was even across the outside not cupped. Could you post a pic?

scmedic09 10-14-2011 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBryant (Post 636130)
The front tires on my 2010 Hemi Ram are cupping on the outside of each tire. Could this be caused by the tie rods? Are any 2010's included in the tie rod recall? They are cupped enough I can actually hear them as I drive down the road. Any other 2010's have this problem?

let me guess you probably have good year wrangler HP tires??? they are notorious for cupping. if you do, best bet would be to get better tires, and rotate them as required:smileup:

scmedic09 10-14-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stainless (Post 636163)
The 2010's are included in the recall, however you need an alignment to take care of your issue, the recall only covers a toe adjustment.

for the recall they will replace the tie rod ends, and that also includes an alignment too

Stainless 10-14-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmedic09 (Post 636173)
for the recall they will replace the tie rod ends, and that also includes an alignment too

Nope that only includes a TOE ADJUSTMENT, i work for a dealer

scmedic09 10-14-2011 10:57 PM

ahh well had my recall done a few weeks ago, bran new tie rods and an alignment :D guess i got lucky ;p;

Stainless 10-14-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobzRam (Post 636167)
I know that my 10 is on recall for tie rods, but I havent had any issues yet. Cupping is usually from out of balance tires, bent suspension parts or really worn shocks. Do you go 4 wheeling with your truck? Have you hit anything, big pothole? Do you have a lift kit installed? Hows your tire pressure? I cant see you needing shocks (struts) already. You said its only on outsides, most times that would be a camber adjustment, but only if wear was even across the outside not cupped. Could you post a pic?

Cupping is also caused by suspension angles, hence the alignment. I had minor cupping on mine, since alignment done, no cupping.:smileup:

scmedic09 10-14-2011 11:02 PM

^^ agree there too, lots of factors can cause cupping, best spot to start, is head over to the pros to check the front end out