DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   1500 weakness fix (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94518)

old amateur 10-17-2011 08:30 PM

1500 weakness fix

Hope I'm posting in the correct spot.

Been reading thread after thread after thread etc..... and thought I'd start one to answer a few questions of my own.

If you were going to lift your truck, how would you do it? What issues need to be overcome? (Readers Digest version will do just fine ;).)
For example: I would like to lift my truck to accomodate either 35's or preferably 37's. I have a 5 position drive option (2H, 4Auto, 4H, 4L Neutral). I search for 6" lifts yet most (if not all) have a disclaimer the lift is not for AWD trucks. Is 4Auto the same as AWD? If so, why won't the lift work?
Stock tires are 32" tall. Will moving up to either a 35" or 37" cause premature wear on bearings, CV shafts etc? Why and how do I compensate?
Will an aftermarket lift cure the 'death wobble' I keep reading about?
Is a gear swap necessary and (without sounding like a moron), what gears are we speaking of (differential, transmission, both)? How do I know what gears are in the truck (I don't have the build sheet)?

By the way, I am mechanically inclined, just not experienced in this particular field and I am one of those people who just has to know:4-looney:

Cheers,

shujat 10-20-2011 05:07 PM

bump for the good question, I hope someone can help!

Stangshcky12 10-20-2011 05:34 PM

If you want to lift more then 2.5" you want a lift kit that has new crossmember and lifted knucles. By going this route it keeps the CV axles at nearly the same angle they are at so you should not experience death wobble.
Another option with this type of kit is you can use Bilstien ride height adjustable shocks to make the truck sit closer to level.
4auto is different from AWD drive. If you have the 4auto T case then you will be fine lifting your truck
With 35" tires you will be fine. 37's are ok but are at the point that its a little to much tire to turn with stock gears usually.
You can tell what axle ratio by looking at the tag in your glovebox or I believe there is one on your axle as well
A good gear ration for 35's is 4:10, 37s would be good with 4:56
Although a gear swap isnt completly neccesary it is recomended

old amateur 10-20-2011 10:22 PM

Thanks. I'll check out those locations for gear info.

I some questions regarding box liners and cat back systems though I'm sure there's a better spot to post those.

cheers,

Stangshcky12 10-20-2011 10:35 PM

What size lift are you looking for and what do you want to do with your truck after it is lifted?

old amateur 10-20-2011 11:03 PM

Lift size would be at least 6" with a possible body lift to accomodate 37's. No particular reason for 37's other than I like the look.
Use? Pretty much a mall crawler however I tend to be a little unpredictable at times and may decide to take the thing off road (known to do that)!

Stangshcky12 10-21-2011 02:09 AM

The rough country lift would be a good option for you then if your not looking to break the bank

dayone 10-21-2011 11:30 AM

just so you know, the 2011 ram r/t comes stock with 4.10s so the 4.56s maybe a better option. the stock gears now are probably 3.55 unless you have the the 3.92 option which would be on the window sticker. when you increase the tire size that much you need to correct the gearing in order retain applied power and fuel economy. i have heard of gas mileage going up with larger tires when the correct gears were added. there are calculaters available online to check this.

candy08 10-21-2011 12:48 PM

Rough Country 6" lift and 37s will do you well! Also whether you have 3.92 or 3.55 you'll be fine. I've put 10K miles with 37s and 3.55 with no issues. As far as swapping out gears, that's a no go on the 11s. You'll have to wait a while for an gears, lockers or an lsd to be availible.